Elevator Forum

Otis schematic symb...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Otis schematic symbol

7 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
6,148 Views
 Lev
(@Lev)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#33919]
Dear all
I have attached a screeshot with marking. Can anyone tell me the meaning of it.

Regards
Levo

Attachments
Screenshot_20220921-225022_WhatsApp.jpg (196 KB, 104 downloads)



   
Quote
(@LAmech)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Not an Otis guy, but I'm thinking it's a variable capacitor or [i]maybe[i] a MOV. It's the only option that makes sense and not to far off from the modern symbol.

It shouldn't be to hard to figure out from looking at the full print or controller though.

Last edited by LAmech; 09/23/22 09:05 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@john jay)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
It is a Dog shaft switch. Under the car, on the pull-out safeties shaft. A switch that has to be manually reset.



   
ReplyQuote
 Lev
(@Lev)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Dear LAmech,
This symbol shown across the normally close contact.
Regards
Lev



   
ReplyQuote
(@LAmech)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Yes, a capacitor across a contact will prevent an arc from forming when the contact begins to open, especially when there's an inductive load like a motor on the other end. Normally there's a resistor in series so the cap doesn't discharge as the contact closes and cause another arc. But if the power is cut from the relay, and the load discharges the cap before the relay drops, then I don't think you would need a resistor at all. And it being a variable variety would allow the mechanic to adjust it in the field until the arc is no longer seen instead of measures and doing math and ordering the needed size.

https://www.te.com/commerce/Documen... 36_AppNote&DocType=CS&DocLang=EN the last page of this pamphlet describes what i'm talking about.

Not sure if this is the correct answer, just what I see when I look at the print.



   
ReplyQuote
 Lev
(@Lev)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Dear LAmech,
Yes. This is possibly a varistor. Thanks for your input.

Regards
Levo



   
ReplyQuote
(@NY Guy)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I agree to this being a Varistor type component. Could be used as a suppressor or surge protection.



   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top