Elevator Forum

Rants, Rages, and g...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing

51 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
127.4 K Views
(@aquadag)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#8176]
OK guys let it out here. It seems there is a lot of anger and such out here. How about we put it here instead of on one of our own. Let it rip. 😲 😢

PS sorry admin I guess it's probably not the right place but...

Last edited by aquadag; 08/20/13 02:37 AM.


   
Quote
(@aquadag)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
I'll start:

I can't stand when some genius moves my barricades, Then complains that the elevator's not working and when the hell am I gonna finally fix it.

Last edited by aquadag; 08/20/13 02:44 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Aquadag

My all time favorite is when they tell you that they have had to walk the stairs all day...

WTF!

I started to tell them every building we go to we have to use the stairs too!



   
ReplyQuote
(@sbrmilitia)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Whats is there too complain about? I don't have to sit behind a desk all day, I get paid for what I know, my brain gets a daily workout on complex problems the tougher the better, I get to work with live electricity, I get to ride the best roller coaster in the world (cartop at 1400fpm), and everyday I learn something new.

Yeah there is some stuff in this trade that gets on my nerves but there isn't anything else in the world I rather be doing. I fix problems only a few people in this city can. 2-3 hours troubleshooting racking my brain and then I fix it...most satisfying feeling in the world to me.

What pisses me off is a fellow mechanic leaving a job worst then they found it. Someone who takes no pride in what we do, someone who throws in a crap job and is willing to put their name on it. We make damn good money so do you job right, fix it right the first time, don't half ass Crap, and clean up behind yourself.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Philly)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I actually had to pull an arrogant asshole out of an escalator pit once. And the whole time was screaming about how he was going to sue me, the store and everyone else within eyesight. After reviewing the security tapes, this jackass actually ripped the stores do not enter/caution tape, slid two velvet rope stands out of the way, kicked down my barricade and then proceeded to fall head first into the pit. He said he was in a rush and was going walk up the escalator instead of walking seven more steps and waiting for the elevator. He deserved every stitch he got. Its hard to feel sorry for stupidity.



   
ReplyQuote
(@uppo72)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I was told 'Your an effing c***' on the first day on the job at a shopping centre when we had cordoned off a travelator, which had a step out and we were running it and I told a rather large lady she had to walk another 15m's to the lifts. Suffice it to say I kept my mouth shut, but my boss politely told this lady the direction where to go.



   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Brett
What's a travelator? Is that the Brand name or a local term down under!



   
ReplyQuote
(@billvator)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
cleaning pits one day, was taking an old corn broom to the trash when the building maintenance supervisor asked me if i was riding that home???? bit my tongue!! not the first time he has made a smart ass remark.



   
ReplyQuote
(@GreenPants)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
"bet your job has a lot of ups and downs" good one, never heard that one before
"is this safe to ride?" you and 3 other people are in the car
"this elevator is broken again" havent been to the building in months
"im not going to hurt you if i push this button, right?" push before answer



   
ReplyQuote
(@uppo72)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: jkh
Brett
What's a travelator? Is that the Brand name or a local term down under!

Ha sorry mate, a Trav-O-lator is the brand name for an Otis moving walkway however this wasn't the brand I was working on. I've just used it as a generic name for a moving walkway.

Last edited by uppo72; 08/21/13 07:00 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@kiwinightstalker)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: jkh
Brett
What's a travelator? Is that the Brand name or a local term down under!

Trav-o-lator IS an OTIS trademark...seems to be a common term for this type of equipment...others call it "moving walks" etc!!!
Just like Kone when they bought out the Monospace...then all MRLs seemed to be refered to them as that.
Oh just to add my 2 cents worth...why do they have such silly names for models/ companies.....schindler has the "smart" which isnt (especially the early ones) and Brilliant elevators dont seem to be...LOL



   
ReplyQuote
(@sbrmilitia)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Otis calls the J with glass a J-aire....instead of a escalator its a escalaire....

I officially hate MRLS again. Lost a brake coil on a Torin machine today. Tomorrow ill be hanging the car removing the ropes, Guess great job security for the future I guess.



   
ReplyQuote
 E311
(@E311)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
hhhhmm...lemme see, all of the above are awesome! I was in a truss, inside the step band with four steps removed one day at a department store, barricades up, signs up,locked and tagged. It was a big ol Westinghouse "N". I hear this thump, thump coming up the stairs. I peak out of the truss and a woman is cussing at me. "don't you stop me, I have my rights!" she hollers. I'm so surprised I just stared at her, not knowing what to say. She jumps over me and continues up the steps. When I was much younger, my Mechanic and I were cleaning a hydro pit. The doors were open and a barricade was up. The hall doors were closed on a screw driver with about four inches of an opening. Next thing I know the hall doors fly open and my Mechanic is holding a woman in his arms 🙂



   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Thanks Brett & Kiwi

I was all theory and absolutely no practical for walk ways or escalators. Strangely I've only ever helped other mechanic when they need a pair of hands and no one else was available.

Greenpants, I get those comments too! They are not as funny as they seem to think they are. But I politely acknowledge their attempt at humor. I've certainly fell short on many attempts. What I would like would be an arsenal of witty responses!



   
ReplyQuote
(@sbrmilitia)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Most of these stories back the saying you cant fix stupid. I was out in some small town on a 3 stop hydro. Didn't have a barricade so I grabbed a chair taped a out of order sign and placed it inside the car. Walked out to my truck grabbed a couple things and met the building owner who gave me access to the machine room. Put the car on door disconnect and hit the main line to swap a relay. I get a call on my cell of a entrapment. Took me a second to put two and two together it was on the car I was working on. I ran up to the second floor popped the door open and there was a lady inside the cab. I had the lights turned off and that chair inside the car. She told me that she thought the sign on the chair meant the lights in the elevator were out of order or the chair was out of order. I got a good laugh out of that one.



   
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share:
Scroll to Top