Notifications
Clear all
Topic starter
09/02/2016 9:53 am
Why don't elevators just use mechanical load breaks like the old hand powered dumbwaiters use to? I would think this would simplify a lot of things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRkoi_6XpCg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRkoi_6XpCg
09/02/2016 10:49 am
i would think the obvious reason would be back lash. The break actually locks it self in.
Let's not for get the heat that would be generated inside it as it would turn at many FPM. Imagine a 20 floor run at 800+ fpm.
Let's not for get the heat that would be generated inside it as it would turn at many FPM. Imagine a 20 floor run at 800+ fpm.
It's just not a good fit!
Topic starter
10/02/2016 5:02 am
Originally Posted By: jkh
i would think the obvious reason would be back lash. The break actually locks it self in.
Let's not for get the heat that would be generated inside it as it would turn at many FPM. Imagine a 20 floor run at 800+ fpm.
Let's not for get the heat that would be generated inside it as it would turn at many FPM. Imagine a 20 floor run at 800+ fpm.
It's just not a good fit!
I don't think that would be a problem especially in a worm gear drive here is a video of a Sedgwick dumbwaiter load break https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-ud6UYeA6g
10/02/2016 10:27 am
RCD,
Bi-directional brakes have been around a long time. I would think that if it was applicable to the elevator industry for some thing other then a roped dumbwaitor we would be working on them too!
Bi-directional brakes have been around a long time. I would think that if it was applicable to the elevator industry for some thing other then a roped dumbwaitor we would be working on them too!
In your video the gentleman said it is a Sedgwick rope dumbwaitor. I have a mint condition Matot rope dumbwaitor I pulled out of a building my customer was renovating.
But if you are hungry for knowledge pm me your email address. I have a 10 page write up you are welcome to read...