Notifications
Clear all
Topic starter
21/02/2010 1:39 am
Not to bash our industry, but all to often you hear people {i.e.,sales,office,field} "You need to Mod this Equipment" Not to long ago I looked at a Job one of the "Fantastic Four" had on Full Maint. They told the customer that the door operator was obsolete and couldn't get parts...Guess What!!! It's a standard GAL operator...Also was told by another customer a 9yr old MCE controller needed to be Modernized by their service provider. What Say You?
21/02/2010 4:48 am
Hey Halfpick, I'm with you on this one. I can't even count how many times I've fixed elevators that suposedly could not be fixed. I think it's just easier to say it can't be fixed than to dig into the problem. Most companies will not waste their time spending man hours on the problem if there's even a slight chance of selling a mod. I figure most mods are inevitable anyways so why not get the billing on the repairs in the short term. Just my take on it!
Topic starter
22/02/2010 3:35 am
I can see your point. I always felt we provided a SERVICE to our customers. I always thought a good building owner or manager budgets upgrades and repairs. I know that there are a few who will never spend any money on the equipment, but for most they are not the majority. To just straight out tell a customer that the only outcome is replacement is a injustice. That said, It's no way to keep a customer or As my last employer phrase it." a Preferred Provider"...That is a Joke!
Topic starter
22/02/2010 3:46 am
Just some food for thought! I remember a class we had on Haughton Equipment that had Verniar Selectors (excuse spelling). This car was old and ran poorly. You could tell the selctor was in need of attention and the car landed bad. We had a guy from out of town who adjusted these mechanical monsters back in the day! Within 20 minutes he had the car running pretty damn good....It wasn't that the equipment really needed replacement, it need a skilled elevatorman to work on it! I guess I just remember when we were not a "plug and play" industry!
22/02/2010 7:45 pm
Good topic very close to my heart.