Elevator Forum

westinghouse car ru...
 
Notifications
Clear all

westinghouse car runs with doors open

22 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
31.8 K Views
(@E-man)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
On a side note observation... Just the other day a guy who was with me when I had an ES relay coil to change wanted to loosen the relay screw to move the relay around, which I've never done and I've changed many coils. I push on the relays on each side bending them slightly out of the way (and bending the relay I'm changing also) so I can get the coil out. He also wanted to take the ladders off, which I've never done. I guess everyone has their own way they have been taught to do things...



   
ReplyQuote
(@rollaway-up)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Wow good find. We had many old montgomery vv jobs up here with floating grounds. All of them were required to have engineered GFCI's installed in the early 90s after a similar outcome caused serious injury. If you do end up finding a common situation it would be beneficial to the industry and the public, so kudos to you for chasing this one down.



   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
VatorGator,
Thank you for you follow up. Have a safe trip.

To Halfpick, E311, EMan, Uppo, Dan & Rollaway thank you for your participation.

I wish the best to all for the new year and hope that all stay safe.



   
ReplyQuote
(@uppo72)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: jkh
VatorGator,
Thank you for you follow up. Have a safe trip.

To Halfpick, E311, EMan, Uppo, Dan & Rollaway thank you for your participation.

I wish the best to all for the new year and hope that all stay safe.

Thanks mate and all the best to rest of the lads as well.



   
ReplyQuote
(@uppo72)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I also agree that if this is a design flaw, then a must change into the circuit is needed.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Vatorgator)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
just an update, we have contacted schindler, and they are looking into this situation, have spoken to a couple of engineers, and we are being sent up the ladder. E-Man, thanks for the advice on not removing the ladders while changing relay coils, i had to do another one this week, and remembered your post, i gave it a try, and was successful,

Roll-away, have you any drawing for the GFCI that were installed on the montgomery cars you were speaking of,

one of the schindler engineers we spoke to had indicated that grounds can cause relays to pick when the should not, he also said that they would use light bulbs to check for grounds on cars, however what happens when something goes wrong and in between visits and the light bulb check,? It seems that the problem is just being swept under the rug. oh we know there is a problem, just keep checking on it every visit does not seem to be a very good solution to this kind of a problem.

I Keep wondering why can't i just ground 00 terminal, i was working on a westinghouse hydro this week, and on this car, 00 was grounded. What do you guys think, seems like an easy solution to the geared car that has the trouble, I don't want to ground the circuit without schindler engineering consent, but it seems like it should work.

Last edited by Vatorgator; 01/07/15 03:47 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
 E311
(@E311)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
If you did not find the solution, the car should be shut down.



   
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:
Scroll to Top