My question is "what can we use or do to improve this situation"? Has anyone tried installing PVC drain piping? What if I core 1" holes in the block and run PVC with clean outs to the sump pit? At least it would divert the water to the pump. They say they have replaced it several time in ten years. We are recommending a water level alarm.
Please let me know what has worked for you in the past.
situation"? Has anyone tried installing PVC drain piping? What if I core 1" holes in the block and run PVC with clean outs to the sump pit? At least it would divert the water to the pump. They say they have replaced it several time in ten years. We are recommending a water level alarm.
Please let me know what has worked for you in the past.
Hey JKH, this is a common occurrence in our area. If you speak to the building designers, they will say the best way to water proof foundations is to divert the water on the outside away from where you don't want it to go. But sometimes that isn't a perfect solution. So the best way I have done this is, to advise the building managers to get the plumbers to place drainage on the outside of the shaft that diverts the water away as best they can, plus you can add the solution that you plaster the walls inside the pit. As a final solution, it was always a reg that a sump hole of some sort must be in the floor of the pit to enable the use of a sump pump to pump the water out on a float switch. The way you sell it is the water will damage the steel framework, which in tern will damage their investment in the building.
Ken, I like the option but there is no way the customer will go for it. $$$
Silly, I remember we used bentonite powder as an oil absorbent back when I worked in the pyramids.
Uppo, thanks mate... The outside wall of the shaft is on the front of the building. There is a mulch bed with two AC coils surrounded by side walks.
Dan, the sees product is using gutters and weep holes. The gutters look like flashing caulked to the floor and wall.
Rollaway, I'll look up the product you are suggesting.
I'm researching another product as well. It's a bit of "thinking outside the box". So I'll let you all know just how bad the idea was later...
Almost forgot to mention this! This has been an on going water problem. I've had no help from their x-inspector in conveying the ramifications of not addressing the issue. Now we have to run a new line to the pistons. And we may have to replace the jack assemblies as well.
This exact process was dne up in seattle on a job that was actually below the canal water table, not 20 feet from our pits. Took the concrete fellas at least 4 weeks of work, usually allowing 3 days or so inbetween to chase it again. In talking with them he said he regretted not injecting into the walls sooner, he had tried, and failed, to skim for the first 10 days or so.
Yes well I guess you should have a small gradient going towards the sump hole to fix that. Remember the sump is supposed to be a fix after a problem occurs not the solution to the original/acute problem.
This exact process was dne up in seattle on a job that was actually below the canal water table, not 20 feet from our pits. Took the concrete fellas at least 4 weeks of work, usually allowing 3 days or so inbetween to chase it again. In talking with them he said he regretted not injecting into the walls sooner, he had tried, and failed, to skim for the first 10 days or so.
Good idea. Just on the drain tubes, do you mean leave as just drilled holes or actually putting some tubing maybe pvc conduit into the holes then remove them when filling with the product?
yep mate just like I thought. Put a bucket underneath the tube on the floor for testing purposes. Good Idea I think.