Elevator Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Tac 20

44 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
93.4 K Views
(@billvator)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Yes ifrratedpilot but it is a good lesson to remember. This job was not mine and i got to figure it out at 2 a.m. on a hospital hela-pad trama elevator. The Tac 20 is a good unit, but i would still take a DMC.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Broke_Sheave)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Reminds me of my 1st CB base.

We had the job for 3 days. I get a night call on Friday, that an elevator was down and had to be running. I get there, and there's nothing in the machine room but a book. Called my Boss, and asked does anybody know about this stuff? He told me that I would know all about it after I fixed it..LOL...

Sat in the machine room for the next 6 hours on time and 1/2, read the book, then fixed it in about an hour..



   
ReplyQuote
 Len
(@Len)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
you just have to love those lon board communiction setup..such a great engineering marvel..great callback in the middle of the nite all hallbuttons lite up and you have to find which floor is giving you problems....yes I,ll take 20 211 over 1 tac20



   
ReplyQuote
(@Smitty)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
They are a pain. Every time I have to get involved with one it is some kind of Lon problem. The book I have is fine if you keep in mind that it assumes that you work for Thyssen and can get factory replacement boards. I usually have to work backwards to figure out what generic files I am missing. One tip is to look for any floor that may have got wet. The Rj45 connectors that daisy chain fixture to fixture corrode easily.



   
ReplyQuote
(@ifrratedpilot)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
i do not work for TKE and have never had a problem repairing at Tac 20 whether it be a LON problem or whatever. Schindler uses LON on their 321's and 330's.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Broke_Sheave)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: ifrratedpilot
i do not work for TKE and have never had a problem repairing at Tac 20 whether it be a LON problem or whatever. Schindler uses LON on their 321's and 330's.

If you've got parts, diagnostics, and literature, everythings fixable.

Problems..
Parts: Non-OEMs get bent over, price wise, leaves little room for profit or none at all, if you have to replace something.

Diagnostics: Have moved past the point of simple ASCII in and ASCII out and have moved to network protocol, making diagnostices that much more difficult to reverse engineer. And no funny stuff on the reverse engineering because it's guaranteed you will face a legal challenge upon release to the public

Literature: This used to be a gray area, but over the years has been determined that the original OEM holds the copyright, so anybody with illegal literature in their possession has broken copyright laws and liable as well. Leaves you with the choice of going out and breaking elevators, and recording your own findings, thereby creating your own literature.

Nobody but those with the deepest pockets can take up the endeavors listed above. This means OEMS battling OEMS. The days of the large nationwide independents is long gone.



   
ReplyQuote
(@ifrratedpilot)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
"If you've got parts, diagnostics, and literature, everythings fixable."

You forgot ability and desire...



   
ReplyQuote
(@Broke_Sheave)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: ifrratedpilot
"If you've got parts, diagnostics, and literature, everythings fixable."

You forgot ability and desire...

You can have all the ability and desire in the world, but if you got no parts for an ADON board, or CLC or whatever, and No diagnosics to acsertaing the problem, and no literature to describe what you're seeing on the diagnostic screen....

Very few companies are going to let you sit there, with your privates in your hand, while you figure out how to set a lon address. They'll keep it till they can't make money and then they'll lose it.

Either back to the original OEM, some OEM that's put in the time and money for R&D, or some other sucker that sends their guy with their privates in their hand as a troubleshooting tool... But one with plenty of desire and ability...

And I understand desire and ability. To take on a piece of what is to you "Foreign" equipment, you had better have plenty of it. You guys working for independents, know what I'm talking about..But if that's all you got....Well.......

*(image not available in this archive)*



   
ReplyQuote
(@ifrratedpilot)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
you know what i mean by ability and desire, i see guys every day that have no business in the elevator business...



   
ReplyQuote
(@Broke_Sheave)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: ifrratedpilot
you know what i mean by ability and desire, i see guys every day that have no business in the elevator business...

I don't know what's happened. I talk to guys everyday, that don't have the simplest grasp of what they're doing. Is it NEIP's fault?, companies lack of training?, different generation and I've become and old fuddy duddy? Hell I don't know.

A lot of these guys WANT to do it, but are just overwhelmed.



   
ReplyQuote
(@ifrratedpilot)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I agree... I just started on my 33rd years as an IUEC Mechanic/Adjuster. Worked for the big O from 1980-1995, then went to TKE as a regional adjuster, came back to the big O in 2008, and took a Route mechanic job combination repair/troubleshooter. About a year ago, O bought a large mom and pop shop and sent me over here because of my troubleshooting ability as well as sales ability. We are wide ass open, and the repair and MOD sales are overwhelming even in this troubled economy. Problem is, no qualified men to do the work. The IUEC lost over 30% of its membership in this Local to the economy, basically weeding out the deadwood.

I just don't understand these younger guys today, I guess to them it's an easy paycheck. I had one helper say to me " Screw it, leave it for the adjuster "... I said " Pal, I am the adjuster "... his ass went on the bench...



   
ReplyQuote
(@Broke_Sheave)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
You got a year on me..I've just got 32 years in..LOL...

It was different back then. The industry and technology has changed tremendously.

I wonder....
When I was a young guy, I'd hear the old guys bitch and moan about the good old days (Guys who had been in the trade in the 40's, 50's, 60's....) And I thought in 1978...Damn I missed out!!!LOL...

Wonder if I just turned into the old guy sometimes????



   
ReplyQuote
 E311
(@E311)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
We all take our places as the "old" guys ☹️ What we consider the good ole days would be intolerable to the old farts that are not with us anymore.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Smitty)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I noticed a few years ago before the economy went bad that many guys got all the perks and fringes of guys with years of experience without really having to show much skill.I saw helpers demanding 2nd zone expenses and actually getting it. Of course now the shoe is on the other foot with very few helpers and many mechanics having to work as a mechanic's assistants. I taught our 4th year NEIEP classes for three years and got tired of hearing 30 yr old men bitch at having to go to school one night a week for classes taught at an 8th grade level. I went to school for years four nights a week doing math problems most of these guys could only dream of. I do think the trade was better years ago but then again I am now one of the older guys.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Smitty)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I agree with you 100%. All the ability and desire in the world won't get you the parts or the software needed to fix the unit. Salesmen takes these things on knowing that for the most part they are pretty reliable....until they lose a major board or drive. Meanwhile customers unhappy with the big OEMs are more than happy to try us . I do know there is enough old crap out there for me to work on to last me until I retire. You can work on anything with service tools and literature if you can get it.



   
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share:
Scroll to Top