Elevator Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Slide Guides

7 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
3,434 Views
(@LGFMH)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#37840]
Hello all, have any of you encountered an elevator that has both slide guides and roller guides installed on the car? I’m working on one that has slide guides up top and some pretty greasy rollers on bottom and I’m wondering how anyone ever thought that was a good idea and I’m not even sure if that is allowed.



   
Quote
(@Montana)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I have seen it once on a US hydo that the jack was way off center and once on a Concord PAL VPL. Hand me the rail lube, it is what it is. Lol



   
ReplyQuote
(@LGFMH)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Lol, definitely a new one for me. Not sure how the state inspector is going to take it on this MOD. Should I change them to be the same all around?



   
ReplyQuote
(@elmcannic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Regardless of what the inspector might think, do the right thing…you’re the guy with the M on his card, so make your work reflect your “M” talents.
If those rollers are 6” U.S. standard roller guides, it may have been cheaper to replace with slipper guide assembly’s as those guides are obsolete, only aftermarket is available.
If they’re the 3” type, well that’s a different obsolete animal and most likely slipper shoes were the cheapest and easiest way to get beyond the problem of replacements especially on U.S.’s el-cheap-o later model hydro cross head.
What about seismic plates? Got four of them in place?



   
ReplyQuote
(@Bowtiedrooster16)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I've seen that before on counterweight slings. I think it had roller guides on the bottom and "self lubricating" plastic, like a Delrin, slide guides on the top. Dry rails so the roller guides worked. I'm also a fan of keeping a car on slide guides if that's what it came with and it's a slow car. If you add roller guides you can be opening up a can of worms especially on like a freight car with a deep platform where they can load the back really heavy



   
ReplyQuote
(@EElevator)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Sounds like someone just wanted to do it the cheap and quick way at sone point in the past. I'd replace the one pair to match the others



   
ReplyQuote
(@LGFMH)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Thanks for the input, I looked at it more and it looks like someone had a good idea to upgrade to roller guides but realized they couldn’t be put on top of the car without them running off the rail. Not much overhead clearance on this one and the stile sits higher than the crosshead. Would have to raise the roller guides and they would for sure run off the rails before hitting the stop ring.
Attachments
IMG_1746.jpeg (1.18 MB, 31 downloads)



   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top