Elevator Forum

Otis Hollow Shaft G...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Otis Hollow Shaft Gearless Machine

13 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
23 K Views
(@bilys22)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#13960]
Ok, I am hoping someone can help me with this.
We have several Otis Gearless machines with hollow shafts. I am inquiring whether:
1. Can you repair or replace or alter these hollow shafts in place. If so what how and what is done. Is there any technical literature as to how to do this?
2. I know it is probably easier to replace such machines, but access in and out of the machine rooms would make this rather expensive and difficult.

So that is why I am inquiring about #1 above.

Your help is greatly appreciated in advance



   
Quote
(@bilys22)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Dan



   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
[email protected]

Here is a good place to try next...



   
ReplyQuote
(@billvator)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
call unitec or you local otis office, years back they had guys go around and insert something into the shaft to make it more solid. i thought they all had to be done even if we did not have them under contract, buy i might be wrong. i know the have a "tip" for doing this.



   
ReplyQuote
(@bilys22)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Billvator,

Thanks for the reply. I have contact Otis who indicated they use what the term a "hot bolt" method which means the heat a threaded rod in place insert in the hollow shaft and let cool. They indicated they need atleast 5'0" clearance to do so



   
ReplyQuote
(@bilys22)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Jkh,

Thanks for the reply. I have emailed Mike at Titan Machine to see what they have



   
ReplyQuote
 E311
(@E311)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
There is a hollow shaft repair procedure, it does take quite a bit of room to accomplish it though. Just had a Mod job with hollow's, we couldnt do the repair due to not enough clearance.



   
ReplyQuote
(@billvator)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
i remember people saying it was a pain in the butt, i never got to do one.



   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Any chance the machine is next to a wall you can open up? Maybe you could hang the car and counter weight, take the machine apart enough to turn it?



   
ReplyQuote
(@uppo72)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Is the problem that the shaft is bending or warping? I have never heard of it, but interested.



   
ReplyQuote
 E311
(@E311)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
They can develope cracks because the shaft is not solid, cracks can lead to a total failure of the shaft



   
ReplyQuote
(@uppo72)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: E311
They can develope cracks because the shaft is not solid, cracks can lead to a total failure of the shaft

Thanks for that. Is it any particular machine number that has this, as I worked for the big O for a while and didn't notice it once.



   
ReplyQuote
(@bilys22)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
I know they were few and far between........just a bad engineering design



   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top