Elevator Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Otis GEN2

33 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
63.9 K Views
 ABE
(@ABE)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Maybe it has changed, but 5-6 years ago the belts were like $40-45 a foot and only available through Unitec. Being that every Gen2 Iv'e seen have been 2-1 and has minimum of 4 belts you can only imagine the cost of a belt change.



   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
ABE,
It's my understanding, Otis has a patent for this item. And I was told by my friend that Schindler men are not allowed to reffer to them as belts!



   
ReplyQuote
 ABE
(@ABE)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
jkh,
I heard the same thing, Schindler calls them "suspension traction media" lol.



   
ReplyQuote
(@elmcannic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
And without a technical support base or an Otis friend attached to your umbilical cord port, your in the weeds when it come to the "why won't it run" with the Gen2, and I'm sure it's the same with a variety of other equipment. Man I gotta retire!



   
ReplyQuote
(@halfpick)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
I thinking the same thing. Tech support would be hard. Customers are fed up with these heavy handed Major companies....There is no more integrity to the business. I have to also say the customer has some fault too!!! It costs money to service your units. If you pay peanuts you get peanut service! I see that in Europe there is a Tech Support Company that will support Independent Elevator Contractors? I would think these services should be available in the near future for us in the USA at some point?



   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Please stop talking like that! It's messing with my plan. I was hoping I could retire and come work for one you guys as a parts runner!

Bad thing is I'm only 52!



   
ReplyQuote
(@E-man)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Didn't Otis start this whole mess about trying to prevent other companies from working on their equipment? I can remember when we had only one or two Otis and Dover cars that we maintained in this region, and they were just a couple of hydros.... Greed got the best of everybody.



   
ReplyQuote
(@E-man)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Didn't Otis start this whole mess about trying to prevent other companies from working on their equipment? I can remember when we had only one or two Otis and Dover cars that we maintained in this region, and they were just a couple of hydros.... Greed got the best of everybody.



   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
ABE,
Thanks for the assist with the phrase "suspension traction media". The abbreviation of "STD" was stuck in my head like a bad song. I knew that defiantly meant something else!

STM STM STM,

God, I hope I don't call them STDs...



   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Abe,
I left you a photo in the gallery!



   
ReplyQuote
(@halfpick)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
I really don't know who started it. I remember at Westinghouse we never lost a service contract. Otis took care of Otis and Westinghouse took care of Westinghouse! That was it! One thing did change! The USA doesn't make elevators anymore!



   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Halfpick,
It's almost impossible to find something that is created from conception to finished product here in the States. The world is a much smaller place then it use to be!

Unfortunately I can not speak eloquently on this subject. I will say it pains me to watch the changes we have observed, the current environment we forge our lives in and what I am imagining the world in which the younger generation, such as my nieces & nephews will have to make thier way!

Sorry I woundered away from the trail a bit!



   
ReplyQuote
(@Monte Ball)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
We are independent and Unitec will sell you what you need. But we stay away from this stuff --- we'd love to have it but it isn't worth going to your customer and saying, "uh we're struggling here."



   
ReplyQuote
(@halfpick)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
I hear you....Good Point.



   
ReplyQuote
(@elmcannic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
That's absolutely the worst. "I'm not sure what's wrong Mr. Customer...why it won't do this or that. I'll have to get the Big Guns for this one" or some such dance, only to discover (credit to Mr. B. Gun) two 12 volt batteries behind some secondary panel, buried beneath the EQ box in the controller, are below the operational threshold, and THAT'S why it wouldn't run. DAYUM! We have a number of these type units and we're all challenged (well...except the "Guns") when we have to take calls on these types of equipment...even our own "new" stuff can hammer us. Personally, the MRL is not one of my fave's. Old school here. Oh yeah...I almost forgot, Viva Internacional de Elevadores S.A. de C.V.! Ha!



   
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share:
Scroll to Top