Notifications
Clear all
Topic starter
18/01/2022 11:18 pm
Trying to hook up alt and primary on an old otis gamma D. THE building has been vacant for years. With no print. I see a feed coming into HSS and jumped to ASL ... I have fir2 above HSS with no wires on it and a FIR 1 up a few terminals with no wires as well. Then under ASL I have a GES and a BYP . Does anyone know how this circuit works and where my alt n primary and fire hat wires shoukd go
Topic starter
19/01/2022 8:34 pm
Does any one have any otis fire service diagrams that may be comparable ? Please.
Topic starter
21/01/2022 2:30 am
I finally got this elusive print. If any one needs it let me know. Now the old fire service networks had a bypass. The new version uses reset in that key position. I’m just going to wire my reset to the bypass wires and essentially they do the same thing correct ?
21/01/2022 8:16 am
I believe bypass and reset are essentially the same thing.
22/01/2022 8:50 am
Yes, very similar operations. The older codes allowed "bypass" on the keyswitch, where with the smoke detector still active/building on fire you turned it to bypass and left it there and the elevator went back into normal operation and ran on auto. So I guess if your a firefighter and don't want to run the car on phase 2 to get people out you could just turn the key to bypass and let everyone ride it out normally. I'm not sure when the code changed, but the newer code doesn't allow "bypass" and requires it to say "reset" and the main difference is if a smoke input is still active and you turn it to "reset" and hold it there the car does nothing. It will not bypass and run in auto. A reset keyswitch is supposed to have the smoke inputs cleared before reset will actually reset the car.
22/01/2022 8:59 am
Then again I'm not 100% sure why the older code allowed "bypass" operation. Could've just been a different time where people still smoked in buildings and elevators and nuisance alarms going off could've caused the elevators to go into phase one frequently enough they wanted a way to bypass it. Or people were a little more accountable back then (the if you got hurt it was your fault old school mindset) and it didn't seem unsafe so why change it. I wasn't around back then so I can only speculate.
22/01/2022 9:01 am
Depending on the state/inspector they may want to see the operation match what the keyswitch actually says. If the operation changes you'd probably need a new phase one sign for the wall too describing the new operation.
22/01/2022 10:31 am
Thank you EE.