Do we need to change the oil?
Why didn't they recommend changing the oil 10 years ago? Is this a new requirement?
Should we wait for a malfunction?
Is $8750 a fair price? Plue $2500 to dispose of the oil - $11,250 total
We are in San Diego
There might be other answers to your questions, but that’s my two cents on the question based on my 34 years in the elevator trade, but I’m no expert either.
NOTE: Replacing the oil in your 5 stop elevator has a few more twists than simply replacing the oil. Purging the 70’ jack and hydraulic lines of old oil. Draining the reservoir tank, 6 or 7 empty barrels and hazardous disposal etc all add up. But $11K? I don’t know. But you can as the owner get other estimates for the job IF you choose to move forward.
You don't change the oil in hydraulic elevators in this industry unless it's contaminated (water or dirt got in the tank) or it's been severely burnt (catastrophic motor burn up/welded contactors). I've been installing hydraulic elevators for 15 years and have never changed oil in one. I've taken care of and maintained hundreds of hydraulic elevators that are up to 60 plus years old with the same oil and they run fine and have no reason to change it. It's not like a combustion engine where it's being contaminated. I honestly don't think it needs to be changed. I agree with solidstate on this one..
For what its worth, I'm on the east coast and oil today is roughly 11.25 a gallon.
I have only been involved with this unit for the last month. Not part of the violations but instead a new issue that maintenance and the guests have been complaining about.
Only in the down direction at start there is a loud thud/ bang. Always happens at the 3rd going down and intermittently at the 2nd going down. Even in cartop inspection.
Speaking with maxton tech support about the valve. He quickly mentioned that the piston is most likely sticking and binding up do to lack of lubrication with old or burnt oil. He suggested lubricating the piston with maxglide or other additive. Mentioned to lift the wiper and poor onto the seal. if that stopped the thud then suggested to add a gallon to the power unit.
elmcanic sounds like as you mentioned. The piston is dry. What have you done in this situation??
What is more disturbing to me is working for a CET/ QEI that owns a registered elevator company and has never installed or serviced ever. Better yet put unqualified persons to do the work and figure it out on their own. I have worked along side "mechanics" with 10-15 years "experience" and they don't know where to start with wiring better yet read a schematic.
no b.s. I have 5 years experience, licensed, and do pretty damn good install/service. Certainly don't pride my self with perfection but I give my best effort.
Ive done a hand full of hydro seal replacements, couple telescopic twin posts (1 beings two weeks ago), 1 casket lift jack, and assembled 4 tradesman twin post jacks.
To reseal a jack in this area runs about 8-15k.(depending who does it) But facilities like this one would leave it running rough till an inspector or monitor writes them up.
Therefor I reach out to the community for advice and knowledge to attempt a bare minimum fix to resolve the issue.
I prefer to give the better effort but they don't want to pay for best result. You definitely should understand this part being in the field as long as you have.