Elevator Forum

New elevator, vibra...
 
Notifications
Clear all

New elevator, vibration and noise issues

5 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
3,940 Views
(@PizzaMaster)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#38682]
Hello everyone,
in my building in Bosnia which dates back to the '60s recently was installed a brand new elevator.
The building consists of 6 floors and the elevator is installed around the steps in the center.
The contractor suggested to go with a traction motor with a motor room on the 6th floor because of better performance, easier maintenance etc.
We, tenants from 5th and 6th floor, were worried for the noise and vibration that such room can cause but the contractor assured us that those motors are new, with new technologies and noiseless.
The hoistway is a metal frame anchored on the sides of each floor covered by gypsum panels while the motor room is at the top.
As you can see from the pics there is no proper acoustic nor vibration isolation at all, the motor room seats directly on a metal panel of about 1 cm and is also only covered by gypsum panels, with light escaping all over the places, including around each door on each floor.
The elevator is 2 months old, if I understand correctly the motor is a two step motor with 4kW of power, made in Turkey.
From the first days we complained about the noise and vibration produced by the elevator, having a hard time with the contractor that states that everything is done professionally and according to the rules.
On every start and stop of the elevator I feel the vibration in my apartment on the 5th floor, with the radiators im my living room clinking, the mug in my work room clinking, feeling the vibration when laying in the bedroom which is far 8 meters from the front door, while the noise is audible from start to stop in every room. The external wall is 40 cm thick, I am literally woken up by the elevator every morning by the first tenant at 6.

The start is a deep sound, I suppose a structural vibration and it the worst part, then I hear the motor working and lastly a hard clamp, which should be the break, which again produces a vibration and a big noise.
The contractor states that he adjusted the break as much as he could, but the results are none.
Attached you can see how the work is done and some video of the noise and the motor while working, live is much louder than filmed on the phone.

I need help on how to address the situation, and what steps can be done to remove the vibration and the noise.
For the vibration any recommendation?
I asked to put better rubber pads, possibly add extra pads between the motor and the metal construction, maybe VFD? But I'm worried about the base that is a simple metal panel is the main issue.
Would a isolation of the room with rock wool and gypsum internally help?

This elevator is ruining my life... thank you for any help

Pics & Videos https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1yyE1INQOnTRYu5mJVkviPlPKCDmCRulQ

Some pics
*(image not available in this archive)**(image not available in this archive)*
*(image not available in this archive)**(image not available in this archive)*

Videos
Noise 1
Noise 2
Noise 3
Noise 4
Noise 5

Motor 1
Motor 2
Motor 3



   
Quote
 MX4
(@MX4)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Get the recordings on loop and put it in a stereo and crack the volume all the way up and go sit out side the contractors house so he can hear it. Haha! All jokes aside all you can probably do is complain and check if there is a noise ordinance where you live and file a complaint with management etc. I will agree that’s extremely loud



   
ReplyQuote
(@PizzaMaster)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
We had a new meeting today and I was totally pissed off. Before they were asking for more money to isolate the motor room but today they agreed that they will isolate it and fix the vibrations somehow, with more/better pads within one month
I'll definitely complaint to the authorities if it does not get fixed



   
ReplyQuote
(@elmcannic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I see no isolation pads between the steel C channel beams (3 of them) and the machine itself. This machine noise is the worst I’ve heard. Is there even gear oil in the machine? High speed runs seem exceptionally loud, and the brake clunks hard when stopped, and at the beginning of a run (even with your phone!)..To get pads between the machine bed plate (blue) and the C channel beam supports (red) will be a challenge as the weight of the cabin will have to be unloaded from the machine. But that’s the contractors concern. Hopefully you’ll get a solution to your problem. Sound absorbing paneling in the motor room will help, but because of the open staircase design, I hate to say it, but I’ll bet money it’ll still be too loud.
Back in the day this motor room equipment would’ve been on the roof itself and machine noise transmitted into the building was one of the reasons.



   
ReplyQuote
(@PizzaMaster)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Than you for the input, a technician came to check the technician part of the elevator (motor strenght, cables etc..) and he also suggested to add the pads between the motor and the C channel beams. Right now they started to put some acustic isolation (rock wool and gypsum boards) inside the motor room equipment equipment, let's see if it will help
I have also sent an inquiry to the motor manufacturer

Last edited by PizzaMaster; 01/10/25 09:29 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top