Elevator Forum

Garaventa Encoder i...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Garaventa Encoder issues

13 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
8,789 Views
(@levistep)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#36163]
I believe the unit I'm working on is considered an Elvoron. We were having issues with the car losing the encoder count between landing 3 and 4 because of the wear in the guide shoes. We replaced guide shoes and overtightened the spring and the encoder wheel snapped off.

We replaced the encoder and reattached the wheel to the new one. We attempted to do a learn run without success. I brought elevator to bottom landing, ran it up past the IND magnet, brought it back down to floor level and pressed bottom 2 COP buttons and the PI changed from 0 to B. When I brought the car up to the 2nd landing floor level and held bottom 2 COP buttons the PI changed from B to 1.

Shouldn't it have changed from 0 to 1? I feel like it didn't properly register B. When I go to the 3rd landing floor level it doesn't change the PI when I hold the bottom 2 COP buttons. I spent like 2 hours doing this over and over without success. I am getting door zone at every floor stop.

I've noticed that the A and B leds for the encoder do not pulse while I'm running the car from the COP, they just stay lit. If the car is not running and I bounce up and down I can see the A and B pulse.

Not sure where to go from here



   
Quote
(@Johnny)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
How are your floors marked? B 1 2 1 2 3 etc. Assumed that you have a jumper on the learn pins, yes?? The A and B lights are blinking when you run, they are so fat that you see them as on constantly.. you could try swapping the encoder leads. The unit may be thinking it is running down when going up. When you are at the third landing, Is the directional engaged? It should not be touching the cam..



   
ReplyQuote
(@levistep)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
B 1 2 3. Jumper is on learn pins yes. I swapped the encoder leads and that didn't help. I never make it to 4th landing because it doesn't register landings 2 and 3 properly.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Johnny)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
When you get to the third landing and press the two bottom buttons, does the display change, or does it stay at 1??



   
ReplyQuote
(@Johnny)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
when you get to the floor, whatever thee PI should show is what should register, At the bottom landing, it should show B at the second landing, it should show 1, at the third laning, it should show 2 and at the fourth landing, it should show 3



   
ReplyQuote
(@levistep)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
When I get to the third landing the PI shows 1 and doesn't change after I hold the bottom 2 buttons. It's really strange



   
ReplyQuote
(@Johnny)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Did you try a different combination of buttons? I have set up a lot of these and never had that problem. You might want to have someone verify that both "b" and "1" are registering correctly at the controller. (possible broken traveller) Start from the beginning and have them watch to see numbers going up and b and 1 responding properly. You did say that DZ was working at all floors, correct? How fast is your car going? Is speed increasing as you get higher? I'm looking for anything abnormal. What part of the country are you in?



   
ReplyQuote
(@levistep)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
The original encoder was working fine and programming properly until we snapped off the shaft by overtightening the spring so I don't think a traveler wire is likely. DZ is working fine at every floor. I'm thinking this replacement encoder might be no good. I'm in Connecticut on the NY border.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Johnny)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I am in the Pacific Northwest. Portland Oregon. Just as a thought, spin the encoder clockwise 20 or so revolutions and retry programing. Then spin ccw as far back as you went forward plus 20 or so turns. Maybe hitting some sort of limit in the eencoder...



   
ReplyQuote
(@Johnny)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
are counts per revolution the same on both encoders?



   
ReplyQuote
(@Elevatorchum)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I’m needing any kind of manuals and troubleshooting documents for a Garaventa Elvoron 2023 era. I’m trying to help out an older couple who are fed up dealing with Garaventa and their local dealers.

They recently had their grandkids in town for a couple of weeks and they broke the elevator. It’s currently sitting below the bottom floor. I am able to temporarily get the safety string made up, but it won’t move. There’s no inspect station on top of the car or in the controller. Looks to be some sort of way to run it on inspect by the COP board. From what little research I’ve done, it looks like these have a lot of special procedures that aren’t typical of commercial elevators that we are used to. There may even be plug in tool needed.

Does anyone have any literature that me may help?



   
ReplyQuote
(@solidstate)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
No special tool needed. Yes, run it on inspect from cop board



   
ReplyQuote
(@Elevatorchum)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Will do. Thanks



   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top