Elevator Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Flashlights

29 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
53.2 K Views
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#14953]
I just wanted to reach out and ask what brand of flashlight you would recommend.

My reason is this, over the past year I've purchased 6 coast AA flashlights and 3 AA Maglights all LED. I now have one working LED Maglight.

A friend told me to try the Pelican 1910 AAA flashlight. ($25.00) I will say I like the size and amount of light it provides. As to how long it will hold up! Time will tell...

Please make your Recommendations.

Attachments
image.jpg (374.8 KB, 34 downloads)



   
Quote
(@Magic smoke)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I used to use the AAA mini mag led. They kept breaking so I bought a streamlight poly tac LED. It's bigger but I've had it for three years now. It's holding up great. The mini mags, I was only getting about six months before they broke.
I would like to find a poly or plastic AAA that would hold up better. That way I won't get flashlight overbite. Haha.
[img:left] http://www.streamlight.com/product/productsummary.aspx?pid=159 [/img]

Last edited by Magic smoke; 09/01/15 01:52 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@ranger33)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I use the streamlight strion LED rechargable with car charger. It is one of the best lights I have ever used. It has a metal case though so if you use your mouth to hold the light (I do not) then this is probably not for you, also metal case flash lights probably not allowed if you are at a company with a big safety program. It is a nice compact light and puts out a really bright light. I can go a few days without charging depending the usage.

They are expensive but if you are going through the other lights like you say, it is worth a try.I have had mine for over 5 years without any problems. It has been dropped a couple floors and survived.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Vatorgator)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
thanks ranger, i just ordered the strion 74751 HL. it was expensive but it got good reviews. should get it tomorrow, amazon prime :} I also had a larger streamlight for years, but it died. I've been picking up lights here and there over the last couple years, and never seem to satisfy. i ended up with the duracell from costco, for the last few months, but get tired of batteries, and also they are quite big and bulky. hope i like this one.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Vatorgator)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
jkh, i do like the size of that one, let us know how it holds up. like i said I've bought quite a few of the brand names, and none of them satisfy.



   
ReplyQuote
(@danzeitz)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
The pelican is the flashlight of choise around here. No metal case so no electrical safety issues. I belive they are around $50 bucks but they are waterproof and I mean for scuba diving. (not sure of the depth)And there guaranteed so if you break it they relace it!!! Some of the guys have gone to head lamps and really like them. Seems like light stringers on construction jobs are a thing of the past. They want you to do streach and flex before you start work but then wont suppy lighting so you can see???????



   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Ranger, I have run into that challenge. A simple solution is "a little heat shrink goes a long way"!

Magic, that may also help out with worrying about an excessive overbite!

Vator, the pelican 1920 is a little longer and uses two AAAs. I'll keep you posted.

And Dan "TM" Zeitz, I enjoy your input! Thanks for your personal review...



   
ReplyQuote
(@solidstate)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Headlamps are the choice here also. Rechargeable batteries with a charger in the trucks.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Magic smoke)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Heat shrink is a good idea. I wrap the ends with orange electrical tape. Makes for a softer bite pad. Haha. Also the orange won't leave the black tape marks on your lips. As it comes loose you tear off an inch or so and your good again. If I know I'm gonna need a light for an extended amount of time I use my headlight. A streamlight Argo works great.



   
ReplyQuote
(@danzeitz)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
JKH I hope TM is for THE MAN and not TOO MUCH BULLS@#$$##%%^$



   
ReplyQuote
 iggy
(@iggy)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I like Coast PX25, one button on/off, never liked those H/L thing, high is good. But low is just useless too low. sometimes a simple headlamp is a good extra in my bag, get to keep both my hands free.



   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Iggy, I haven't had much luck with the Coast products.

Magic, black tape is why I started using heat shrink. I think with all the pieces I've eaten it is having the same effect as lead paint chips!

Solidstate, not sure about using a headlamp? But I'm interested in the brand of the lamp, battery & car charger...

Dan, you would need at the least a doctrine for that many initials! (The Man)!



   
ReplyQuote
(@ranger33)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Hey JKH,
I see a sharpie in your pic ( for scale). Have you tried the Milwaukee brand permanent marker? I switched over and like them much better than sharpies, they last longer and actually write on some surfaces that sharpies won't.



   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Ranger
Didn't realize such a beast existed?



   
ReplyQuote
(@Vatorgator)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
thanks jk, the pelican flashlight you got me is a great little light. nice pocket size with a nice illumination. I did order the streamlight strion hl, it was a little pricey, but it is super bright, probably to bright for up close work, even at the lowest setting. that being said, it is a great size, and if you need to light up a dark area then i would do the trick. this is more for outside, police work etc. probably keep it just because it is rechargable, and i can use it for camping. however after receiving the flashlight, it came with a catalog and i had to try the Knucklehead Flood light, rechargeable unit. This is a great flashlight for the work i do, lots of wiring in the controllers etc. it has a 360 degree swivel head, a magnet, which worked great on controller doors, and a belt clip. also it comes with an extra battery cartridge which you can install regular batteries in a crunch. I'm really impressed with this light. if you don't like the magnet you can remove it, but it has already served me good. It is also a perfect size, not to big and just small enough to fit in my tool case. also perfect lighting, 2 settings. can't say enough about it, although there was a sticker shock, at 146 bucks, there are 2 models, 1 is a flood light with a wide beam, and the other is a spotlight with a narrow beam. check it out love it

Last edited by Vatorgator; 09/09/15 03:37 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Scroll to Top