Notifications
Clear all
Topic starter
10/08/2023 7:36 am
Hi everyone
Does a life jacket installed 20 years ago on a jack from 1970 (DL Martin) allow a modernization with out a Jack replacement?
Topic starter
10/08/2023 6:05 pm
Just to clarify. Can an elevator with a single bottom jack and a life jacket (plunger gripper) be modernized and keep the existing jack with jacket ?
10/08/2023 7:42 pm
The question is why mod an elevator with a 53-year-old single bottom jack? If and when the jack fails, the 20-year-old life jacket maybe deploys, you now have to replace the jack. Which will cost about the same as the original mod. It makes little sense, safety-wise, or money-wise.
10/08/2023 7:59 pm
Maryland chief elevator inspector just sent this email out last month. So yes, technically you can keep the jack and use a life jacket. I don't think it's a wise Idea still
Topic starter
10/08/2023 8:15 pm
The jack replacement almost doubled the cost of the mod. But of course I agree it should be changed. But I am not the one paying for it 😂😂
Topic starter
10/08/2023 8:23 pm
Is this just under maintenance code or modernization
11/08/2023 8:49 am
I think your best bet is to just go MRL if replacing the jack is a must.