Elevator Forum

Coronavirus Out of ...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Coronavirus Out of work?

29 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
28.5 K Views
(@Skycap)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#28925]
Any locals/ companies/ divisions out of work due to the coronavirus? I just heard this morning that TKE in Phoenix laid off all mod and NI guys, any word on if that is true?
I'm up in Local 19 Seattle and we're still going strong. Just the normal email from the company saying stay home if you're sick. Apparently LNI is walking the larger job sites checking on conditions and head counts.



   
Quote
(@Hope&Poke)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Schindler Houston office closed for a day or 2. They where taking precautions and sanitizing the office itself. I'm in service. Internal email stated NY office is closed. Our hotels are ghost towns and hospitals are screening at entry points. Most of buildings emptying on daily basis. I have had a unit out for weeks now and building not complaining. People starting to run on the banks and ATMs. We're still holding a job for now. Unsure what is next like every1 else. Stay strong brothers and sisters we all knew something like this was going to happen at some point. God Bless



   
ReplyQuote
(@Trfytoy)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Local 19 here, they have shut down the light rail project south of Seattle near "high viz" areas. I'm in Bellevue with no talk of shutting down.



   
ReplyQuote
(@ModMech)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Our Schindler branches in Indiana and Ohio have told all office employees to work from home for the next couple of weeks, but all of us in the field are still running strong so far...



   
ReplyQuote
(@Rique925)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted by Trfytoy
Local 19 here, they have shut down the light rail project south of Seattle near "high viz" areas. I'm in Bellevue with no talk of shutting down.

Dam this had to happen right before I was going to get called..



   
ReplyQuote
(@Trfytoy)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted by Rique925
Originally Posted by Trfytoy
Local 19 here, they have shut down the light rail project south of Seattle near "high viz" areas. I'm in Bellevue with no talk of shutting down.

Dam this had to happen right before I was going to get called..

It's nerve-wracking being a probie right now.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Rique925)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
That's understandable.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Skycap)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
TKE Furlough this morning. Voluntary until mandatory.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Rique925)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Wow, this sucks.. things are just getting worse..



   
ReplyQuote
(@Hope&Poke)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
What local? City? Schindler reduce all to 32hrs.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Trfytoy)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
He's local 19



   
ReplyQuote
(@Silly)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Local19, NI here. Guys we are gonna get through this. Personally, I think it's going to be a six week window. We closed Washington state over 2800 cases or so, in two weeks time we will be triple or more of that number, so expect the time down to be extended.

I try and take the time to train my apprentices for occasions like this. Learn to live within your means, budget off your hourly only, save all perdiem, zone pay, overtime for "oh Crap" funds. The last 20 years we have a ton of scares, from 9/11, (locally the Nisqually quake), bird flu, swine flu, Zika virus, Ebola, you name it. Any one of these things had the ability to be catastrophic to a local or national economy.
We make damn good money, save some so you have the ability to coast these sorts of issues out.

For me personally, I was scheduled for vacation time anyways, I am taking it so some other union brother is able to work just that little bit more. Be safe out there ladies and gentlemen, and I will see you all on the other side of this.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Skycap)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Good information there Silly. I am sure your apprentices appreciate those tips. I think it's at least going through the end of April up here in Seattle. I am curious to see if classes go longer into the summer when we return. Our teacher is still having us do homework weekly.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Rique925)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted by Skycap
Good information there Silly. I am sure your apprentices appreciate those tips. I think it's at least going through the end of April up here in Seattle. I am curious to see if classes go longer into the summer when we return. Our teacher is still having us do homework weekly.

I'm hoping its just til the end of April too.. I'm going to call the hall on Monday and see what's up..



   
ReplyQuote
(@Skycap)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
We will see in the next couple days if and how long the extension will be here in wa. I can tell you TK yesterday officially furloughed mechanics and apprentices. its gonna be a while before they start calling people from the list man. They have to go through all the furlough lists before the companies can hire from the bench. TMs have been getting turned back into apprentices so mechanics can stay at work. Only after all that is back to its original state do I see the big 4 hiring again from the list. How many spots out are you?



   
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Scroll to Top