I'm a little older than you are now turning 31 in Jan, have a 2year son and wife. Hard work is nothing to me and luckily I was born with "common sense". What is the most difficult thing you had to learn? I understand I'm rambling been up sick sence 7.
Ps.. Like I said I live in Houston and my plans to stay with family fell through. Know any cheap hotel/motel in Austin?
Once again thanks man..
Construction can be tough for various reasons, the physicality, the temperature, and the person who you are assigned to work with. I started in construction, and was rehired after my lay off into Modernization. The mod department fits my really well, but I know a lot of guys who excel in construction where I don't necessarily.
There are a few people from that initial hiring group I was in that are still in it with me, so maybe half stuck around?
People from our local have gone to work in Houston recently, so if work kept up, transferring back to Houston would be a possibility down the line hopefully.
31 is still on the younger side in this trade, nothing to be ashamed about. Some of the better mechanics and apprentices didn't get started well into their 40's.
Further south might be the cheapest place for you to live, or far east.
Lastly, the most difficult thing for me to learn is just how stupid I can be and how to deal with it. I am continually impressed by how much I don't understand about this trade more than 2 years into it, and how much knowledge goes into installing or modernizing an elevator from start to finish. So be humble, and don't try and act like a badass. Just show up to work ready to work and learn, and make the most of your opportunities.
I haven't called the office yet I was gonna wait till February if I hadn't heard anything by then. I was hoping more of our group would find this page