Elevator Forum

Apprenticeship advi...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX

650 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
4.6 M Views
(@hog451)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Yes, it is in the CBA.
From the CBA:
(page 23)
"A newly-hired employee without previous mechanical experience shall be classified as a Probationary Apprentice and shall work as a probationary employee for a period or periods totaling twelve (12) months within the aggregate period of not more than eighteen (18) months. The Company and the Union shall have the privilege of testing the ability of Probationary Apprentices during this twelve (12) month period. If they agree that the Apprentice during this probationary period does not display sufficient aptitude to become a first year Apprentice he/she shall be discharged at any time during the probationary period as stated above."

However, do note that it says "...without previous mechanical experience..." I think it is very unlikely that a person without any previous mechanical experience would get through the interview process.



   
ReplyQuote
(@hog451)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I've tried to hyper link twice as you can see above with the blank replies. Here's the CBA link:

https://www.dol.gov/olms/regs/compliance/cba/private/9064_7-8-17.pdf



   
ReplyQuote
(@ElecTech)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
There seem to be two aspects to being a proby; one is with regard to wage and the other with regard to mechanical inclination. Even in the link provided, there is a 6 month proby wage increase. But I believe the employer has 12 to determine if the proby is likely to be successful in the apprenticeship.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Joe45)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I really don't care how long the probation period is. It can be two years all I care. Im ready to get in and work my ass off to prove my worth.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Eman310)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Has anyone from the LA group received their interview results?



   
ReplyQuote
(@HeardThatInd)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
No nothin yet



   
ReplyQuote
(@Joe45)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
We probably wont hear back till around the 14th. I believe they are doing interviews till the 7th.



   
ReplyQuote
(@UnionSprky)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
That's a whole lot of interviews.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Joe45)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Just got word there are 702 ppl on the new LA list. We should be getting our emails soon.



   
ReplyQuote
(@UnionSprky)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
that's a lot of people, but not as many as I thought there would be. Good job on getting the good info Joe45, you've been a big help, thank you.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Joe45)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Hopefully we all can get to work soon. There are two guys that work for two different companies in my welding class that told me their companies are waiting for the new list to come out because they need bodies. And after the new year a lot of projects are coming up for the LA & Vegas list.



   
ReplyQuote
(@UnionSprky)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I'm hoping we all hit the field soon too man. And as far as the contractors needing bodies, it's music to my ears. Downtown LA is just full of cranes everywhere you look. That's a great sign for all of us hoping to get the call.



   
ReplyQuote
(@UnionSprky)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I ranked very close to the top of the Los Angeles list. Just got the call about going in to the union office to start the process (paperwork and such). Just giving all you guys a heads up. I'll try to come on here whenever I can, and best of luck to all of you still waiting for that call.



   
ReplyQuote
(@SRiley)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: UnionSprky
I ranked very close to the top of the Los Angeles list. Just got the call about going in to the union office to start the process (paperwork and such). Just giving all you guys a heads up. I'll try to come on here whenever I can, and best of luck to all of you still waiting for that call.

Are you willing to share with us how high on the list you were? Just to get an idea of how fast that list is currently moving.



   
ReplyQuote
(@streetcar)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Anybody else on the waiting list in Phoenix? I'm in the top 25, interviewed late october. Just trying to get an idea of when to tell my current employer about all this.

Also, does anybody know if the elevator company you hire on with contacts your current employer to check references etc? If nothing else I would at least like to be the first to let them know...

Last edited by streetcar; 11/15/16 01:51 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
Page 39 / 44
Share:
Scroll to Top