Elevator Forum

Apprenticeship advi...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX

650 Posts
81 Users
0 Reactions
4.6 M Views
(@txvet)
Estimable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 107
 
Solution, I have no idea. I called today actually and said I am next to be hired and I was wondering if you could.give me an idea about when they'll take anyone, he said he had no idea and I just have to be ready and available when they call. And the worst part is I just turned down a sweet job at the dept of fish and wildlife for a maintenance electrician for this.



   
ReplyQuote
(@silly)
Estimable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 215
 
TxVet, you made the right call man, just relax. As I explained earlier, the union does not decide the actual hiring, the companies do. So the union rep there cannot tell you with any sort of accuracy when, its not that he doesnt want to. Being the next guy hired so early after the testing is great, you will catch on soon.



   
ReplyQuote
(@txvet)
Estimable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 107
 
Thanks silly, that's good advice. And it is moving they have hired two already so I can't really complain. I am extremely greatful to have gotten that ranking.



   
ReplyQuote
(@pete-da-engineer)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 5
 
Reading all this about the way apprentices' are employed really impresses me, in the UK its literally, can you count to 10 and write your own name and as a result of that mates (apprentices') can barely find a safety circuit when they go out on the tools, i work for what is known in the UK as "one of the big 4" (otis, thyssen, kone and schindler) and everyone is interviewed by a manager(non engineer) and by the senior technician whos not even a qualified lift engineer. Its a pretty poor state here....
My advice for any mate/apprentice is PAY ATTENTION! Understand the mechanics of a lift and the electrics/circuitry and get to a position where you know where you know what tool/part your fitter needs before he needs it and have it there ready.... If not you will be paying for tea at lunch 🙂



   
ReplyQuote
(@skilledbutcher73)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 97
 
Sounds good. Thank you for the advice Pete... I will definitely be looking into more the mechanical and circuitry and studying up since I have the time Now and be prepared when i go in as a probate.



   
ReplyQuote
(@pete-da-engineer)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 5
 
Its simple "knowledge is power" learn as much as you can and understand the beast, no matter what nothing will ever prepare you for the pressure from when you go from mate/apprentice to engineer, it really is sink or swim, i had a freshly trained engineer almost cry the other month because he had a few call-outs in i had to almost console him to stop him crying, 15 year ago when i were in his position i'd of been laughed at and punched for being a complete wet blanket...
You need to be able to handle pressure, be able to think logically if you can do them then you've cracked it 😉 good luck to all wanna be engineers!



   
ReplyQuote
(@solution)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 86
Topic starter  
Hope everyone here in Austin is holding out ok. Summers nearing an end, lets hope we get a call sometime this fall. Any day now for you Vet!



   
ReplyQuote
(@txvet)
Estimable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 107

   
ReplyQuote
(@titans)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 68
 
I know what ya mean TxVet. I've been trying to do side jobs off of craigslist to supplement my unemployment. I start back to At&t on Sept 26 if I don't get the call. I'll be taking a pay cut but at least it will keep my mind off of when I'll be getting hired. At&t's training center is right next door to the IUEC in Nashville so my butt will be over there at least 2 times a week at lunch and on breaks. LOL. I've been bugging em on the phone now I'll be able to bug them for real. I sure was hoping I would get the call before then but just gotta drive on.



   
ReplyQuote
(@titans)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 68

   
ReplyQuote
(@txvet)
Estimable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 107

   
ReplyQuote
(@skilledbutcher73)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 97
 
Man i didnt think they laid off mechanics too often .. I thought once you did your probationary time you were almoat safe from lay offs



   
ReplyQuote
(@titans)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 68

   
ReplyQuote
(@solution)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 86

   
ReplyQuote
(@jrr1982)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 19

   
ReplyQuote
Page 13 / 44
Share:
Scroll to Top