I just have a few questions and would greatly appreciate anyone willing to respond.
I'm currently finishing up my first year as an apprentice in the IBEW (electrical union) and although I like it so far, from the research I've done I really think I would prefer this trade.
So in May the Austin local #133 will be taking in applications, and I got me some questions.
First of all, is this union one where I stand little chance if I don't actually know anyone already inside the union?
Will the fact that I have electrical experience working through the IBEW help improve my odds of acceptance?
Is there any blanket advice that you can give me prior to my interview to improve my odds?
Is there anything about this trade I should know before I apply?
Does anyone work in Austin and/or Texas? If so, am I making a good decision pursuing this and what can I expect?
Overall, how difficult is it to gain entrance into the program?
I'm 23, and have both college/construction experience as an electrician.
Anyways, I'm simply anxious because I really want to be a part of an exclusive and demanding trade such as this one, and would appreciate any and all input. Sorry for all the questions.
Thank you gentlemen!
Stand a great chance of getting into the union, regardless of relations. Our union does not really have that issue, some of the signatory companies however, thats a different story.
The electrical experience should help you with some of the entrance exam questions, and depending on experience, may allow you to get a waver for some of our own union apprenticeship classes. The fact you are a UNION electrician will help you with the oral exam portion of the process into the union as well.
Blanket advice, knowing that common sense isnt all that common anymore, if you have it, you will look stellar. The exam is for you to figure out, I will say it is heavy on mechanical and math. Gear A is 24 inches spinning clockwise at 100fpm, how fast will hear be spin if it is 12 inches, and in what direction will it spin? Thats just an example, and if it is really on the test, brilliant!
Our trade is great, we are one of the few self perpetuating trades out there. For every 500 elevators I build on new installation, there are 2-3 service routes created, perhaps some repair as well, if the service geeks dont keep my beauties lubed right! Perhaps a MOD team as well to give some of the items a facelift.
Your overall question, it is not mission impossible to get into the union, with a good work ethic, common sense, and the desire to learn, you will be very successful in this trade. It is a privledge to be in a trade that can take care of you, and your family, for as long as you are willing to take care of your responsibilities, safely, and within our agreement with the companies. Good Luck Solution.
The test is the same test most major companies use as a mechanical aptitude test. Dow Chemical, BASF, Etc. Its really simple.
Where you need to shine is the panel interview. Two union guys and two company guys will be conducting the interview. From that interview is where you'll get your number for the hire list. I was 29.
Just today I spoke to someone who made it seem like the local here was not easy to get into, but I honestly assume that is the case for every local within this trade. So the advice is absolutely appreciated guys.
I'm not at all concerned about the written test, because I know I'm mentally capable and mechanically inclined enough to pass it. Does anyone know if they are only concerned with if you passed, or if they actually use your score as a ranking metric?
You mentioned an oral exam though, and to this point I had no idea that was even part of the process? Is there any way you could elaborate, or did you simply mean the interview?
Speaking of interview, I don't suppose anyone here knows what sort of questions they might ask?
If anyone has time to reply, thank you.
And that's what it is a INTERVIEW, its not a test. You'll be asked normal questions pertaining to the job. Starting out you'll be in construction. Hours are long, the job is tough on greenies, lots of heaving lifting, hours of monotonous work, also that Texas heat in those shafts makes things tough and mechanics will push you to your breaking point. Keeping your mouth shut, do what your told, and pay attention to detail learn from what others are doing. If someone gives you to chance to do something that requires skill knock it out of the park. If you are a electrician knowing how to run conduit, bending, taking measurements, and making things look nice gives you something extra you bring to the table. You'd be surprised ive been with probates who have no clue how to read a tape. "Its 3 lines after the big line" ive heard more then once. Laying machine rooms out require a lot of EMT and a mechanic attention to detail shows in the machine room.
The interview will be members of the JAC. It will consist of two union guys and two company guys. Unless asked shy away from talking a lot about union pride(hey brother we all have it and its nothing like having brothers who have your back). Keep your answers pertaining to work experience, issues you've seen in the field and ways you used team work and problem solving skills to overcome them. Also adding a safety influence to your answers isn't a bad thing to do. Company or Union safety is one thing we can all agree on. Lastly when asked if you have any questions don't say no, ask any questions you have a concern about. That shows you are not a know it all and have a willingness to learn. You only have a short time for those guys to make a decision about you so give the best impression you can.
Dress for the occasion, clean shaven and get a hair cut. A good impression when you walk in will help.
Any more questions ill be more then happy to ask. DM me if you want.
Most union guys say it is difficult to get in because, to most, it is. Common sense isnt all that common these days. Work ethic? Forget about it. Desire to doing a job right.....yeah right. Premadona is a word I am familiar with being called on occassion, my answer is usually the same, whats so wrong with being perfect?
Good luck in the lone star state.
Be on time, have reliable transportation and don't miss any school. while you are on probation there is no excuse for being late or calling in. besides death and that may not keep you from getting ran off.
keep your temp work card on you, make sure you are up to date on your payments. have a pencil and ruler/tape on you at all times.
good luck bud
I won't receive my application for another week or so, then I'm assuming the testing will be set up towards the end of the month, or early June.
I'm trying not to think about it that much because I know they likely don't accept many applicants. I also lack a military back ground, and have only been an electrician for a little over a year, so I wont be the most qualified on paper.
I don't lack confidence, I'm just keeping my expectations tempered for now.
Thanks as always gentlemen.
Edit: Hopefully though they are in serious demand for apprentices, all of Texas is doing really well from a growth perspective, Austin and the I-35 corridor are no exception. Plenty of work going on down here.
I would like to google some practice tests, but I'm unsure what exactly to look for that would most closely relate to the EIAT.
SBR posted this earlier in the thread, "The test is the same test most major companies use as a mechanical aptitude test. Dow Chemical, BASF, Etc. Its really simple."
What might I look up to find example tests such as the one he mentioned? Do they have a specific name?
I suppose I could just research the tests each of those companies use and go about it that way.
Anyways, thanks. I'll continue to update this because I'm sure prospective apprentices might appreciate this in the future.
For any prospective apprentices I'll give a quick run down of my test, but I'll also be mindful that a lot of guys on this forum are likely union members and would frown upon me giving an undeserved advantage to incoming recruits.
With that said, my test was 100 questions, split up evenly between math/reading comprehension/mechanical aptitude.
The reading comprehension was exactly how all reading comprehension tests are. Be mindful that the difficulty scaled up towards the end.
The math was much more basic than I thought it would be. There was no alegbra. You're test might be different, because its possible each region uses a different aptitude test so take it with a grain of salt. There is no calculator so make sure you have all your basics down. Long division using a decimal would be an example of what to touch up on. As always, know order of operations.
Mechanical comprehension is hard to study for. Be familiar with pullys, gears, levers, pressure/fluid.
Hope that helps put anyone to ease with the test coming up.
My interview is on the 26th. This is sooner then I was expecting, so I'm sort of scrambling to get a letter of recommendation and some old college transcript grades. I'm honestly not sure how important that stuff is. So if anyone wants to provide anymore input for my upcoming interview, that would be cool.
Otherwise thanks again for those who helped me out so far.