Elevator Forum

Apprentice Elevator...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Apprentice Elevator Mechanic Test

14 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
64.8 K Views
(@Seattle)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#2417]
Hello All,

I'm getting ready to take the test to join the Seattle Elevator Mechanic apprenticeship. Can anyone tell me what kind of test it is and what I should study for to pass?
Thank you!



   
Quote
(@Broke_Sheave)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
These guys could probably answer all your questions..

http://www.iuec19.org/



   
ReplyQuote
(@kiwinightstalker)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
just a silly question why is it the north Americans, call almost EVERYTHING the international (ie unions) where no one else other than them can join or the world series...ie baseball when the ONLY teams included are american????



   
ReplyQuote
(@Broke_Sheave)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: kiwinightstalker
just a silly question why is it the north Americans, call almost EVERYTHING the international (ie unions) where no one else other than them can join or the world series...ie baseball when the ONLY teams included are american????

Best guess is Canada and the U.S. Since both countries are part of the same organization. Thus "International"..



   
ReplyQuote
(@roadrunner)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Concentrate on your basic electricity and motor and generator theory for starters and also hydraulics.All the new stuff being put in is VVVF with AC motors but there's a lot of old stuff still around and you'll probably see some of those same old jobs 20-30 years from now.Good Luck With Your Test!When you're out as an apprentice,follow your mechanic's requests as best as you can.If you find yourself idle while he's working on something,keep yourself busy by trying to see what tool or whatever part he needs next or hold the flashlight for him.Wiping down the machine and/or dumping the oil back in the gearcase(Aim for the bolt)is Greatly Appreciated also.When you show up on site for the first time,you'll be judged on whether you're just standing there and being a nuisance(distraction)or whether or not the mechanic will ask for you again.When you do start union school,you'll be doing a few hours at school after work.If there's a few mechanic's that you get along with pretty well that are on call that same night,give them a call and hang out and learn nightcalls.If a 2 man call comes up,the mechanic will say that he has you with him and you'll make a couple of hours to boot.Before I started in this business,I went to a Vocational High School.There were people that graduated before myself and afterwards that started at that same Elevator company.One of the guys that graduated before me went out rather quickly and gave me that valuable advice.Myself,with that advice,I was out with a temporary mechanics card(Apprenticeship had to be finished for the permanent card.)when I was 19.Show Interest And It Will Happen.It's a Great Industry to be in.You're you're own boss somewhat.DON'T try to figure out what your problem is while going to the call.Some guys go off on a tangent troubleshooting while driving there.Myself,I'll take the info in and won't think about it until I'm on site.Usually I'll find that the description over the telephone doesn't match what's given from the person on site. One more Extremely Valuable piece of advice from a supervisor Charlie Kasowitz,"If somethiong's got you baffled/driving you crazy,leave the site and go have a cup of coffee/tea and then come back to the site with a fresh and open mind.That advice is Pure Gold.I Value That Piece Of Advice The Most.That advice has worked for me so many times(Once or twice down to my last fuse.)Best Of Luck To You Seattle On Your Test! Thanks Charlie For That Advice!

Last edited by roadrunner; 02/28/12 10:31 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@galaxy)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
roadrunner is right. And some day when another Elevator person says, "You musta' been a good helper". Tell 'em, "I was the last good helper".



   
ReplyQuote
(@elevnoob)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Does one have to be employed with an company to get an apprenticeship? Or do I contact the IUEC local and they set it all up?



   
ReplyQuote
(@Broke_Sheave)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
From the guys that teach it...

NEIEP.
http://www.neiep.org/ElevatorConstructorApprenticeFAQ.aspx#ebd8cdb6-172c-4c06-a394-0c7ffd5eef9a

and then this also from NEIP..
http://www.neiep.org/Industry/Jobs.aspx

My word of advice..Try not to be a smart ass, but if you must, at least interject some humor in it..

As I recall being asked by a foreman some 30 odd years ago, when I arrived to the job site about 20 minutes late...

"What time do you think we go to work around here?"

Shrugged my shoulders and said..
"I don't know...You guys are always working when I get here"..

He laughed and sent me to the rail pile..LOL..



   
ReplyQuote
(@elevnoob)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
So I contacted the local and they said I just missed the cut off date ( Feb 17th ) and it wouldn't be open for another year or two?

Any suggestions as to what to do next? Am I SOL?



   
ReplyQuote
(@Broke_Sheave)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Probabaly so....But keep in touch with them from time to time...One Day...this economy will pick back up and it will be a completely different story..



   
ReplyQuote
(@elevnoob)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Thanks for the input. She did ask me if I knew anyone in the trade. I currently don't, but I have a few avenues to try in getting in touch with a couple of mechanics.

I'm not sure what that will accomplish but it might be worth a shot.



   
ReplyQuote
(@roadrunner)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Sorry to hear that.Taking electrical/electronic courses would be helpful in the coming years if you haven't taken any already.If you have taken some courses already,than maybe taking some more advanced courses then what you've taken already.Taking courses like these will carry yourself across a broad number of trades for now until times get better.Someone that has done electrical work in whatever trade looks better than someone off the street that hasn't.I'm not familiar with Seattle or the surrounding areas but,are there any City Civil Service Exams for your area or an area near you(Transit,Housing or Municipal Elevator Mechanics)?Best Of Luck To You.



   
ReplyQuote
(@elevnoob)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it!



   
ReplyQuote
(@Seattle)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Thank you for the replies, greatly appreciated! Do you guys see the trade picking up here soon?



   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top