Elevator Forum

Sidewalk elevator m...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Sidewalk elevator modernization

6 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
3,753 Views
(@Chris)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#39287]
Looking at a modernization to an old sidewalk elevator job in NYC. Very old unit, originally a water hydro, modernized in 1990's to an oil hydro. The elevator has 3 stops, currently SB to B
call and send, and operable from the cab, B to street operated from a plug in lanyard at street level. I have been researching the codes and it looks like there was a major change to the code in 2009 but I don't have that edition. Can anyone tell me if it is still acceptable to have controls in the cab or provide a copy of the code?

Thanks
Chris



   
Quote
(@Montana)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
What ASME A17.1 code edition has NYC adopted?



   
ReplyQuote
(@Chris)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
2016 as modified by Appendix K of the NYC code. The sections from previous codes (prior to 2009) for operation from the car has been removed in 2016. Found some references to a change being made in the 2009 code



   
ReplyQuote
(@Montana)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
It looks to me like you can control it from inside the car. Refer to ASME A17.1-2016 Section 5.5 Power Sidewalk Elevators (page 197). Specifically Section 5.5.1.25 Operating Devices and Control Equipment.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Chris)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Thanks for the reply. I have attached a cut from 2016 that refers to changes in 2009 but doesn't seem to address operation directly, am I missing something? If I am reading correctly 5.5.1.16 states no passengers allowed on sidewalk elevators and 5.5.1.25.2 refers to the 2009 changes. Unfortunately I don't have a copy of 2009 and I was hoping not to purchase the 2009 code to answer this one question.
Attachments
20250409_042034.jpg (363.61 KB, 11 downloads)



   
ReplyQuote
(@EElevator)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Pm me if you still need this



   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top