Notifications
Clear all
Topic starter
19/11/2020 9:10 am
Recently did a 2 car Mod where the existing car/cwt hydraulic buffers had switches on them that didn't work. Wasn't sent new ones to install, so I just removed the old ones along with the emt and discarded the ones from the first car. Another mechanic I work with came on the job and saw the ones that haven't yet been removed from the second car and told me I have to make them functional. He said removal wasn't an option under 2007 code. Cars are 300 FPM. Just looking for clarification since the State inspector didn't say anything on the first car. Could be it was overlooked... not sure. Any info would be greatly appreciated
19/11/2020 9:52 am
ASME A17.1-2010
2.22.4.5(c) gas spring-return oil buffers shall be provided with a switch conforming to 2.26.2.22 that shall be actuated if the plunger is not within 13mm (0.5 in.) of the fully extended position. This is the only thing I see about a buffer switch in Section 2.22 Buffers and Bumpers. 2.26.2.22 just refers you back to 2.22.4.5(c). I'm not sure about ASME A.17.1-2007. Looks like you are ok if you have a gravity or spring return oil buffer.
2.22.4.5(c) gas spring-return oil buffers shall be provided with a switch conforming to 2.26.2.22 that shall be actuated if the plunger is not within 13mm (0.5 in.) of the fully extended position. This is the only thing I see about a buffer switch in Section 2.22 Buffers and Bumpers. 2.26.2.22 just refers you back to 2.22.4.5(c). I'm not sure about ASME A.17.1-2007. Looks like you are ok if you have a gravity or spring return oil buffer.
20/11/2020 4:25 am
The Buffer switch is there to make sure the piston is fully extended. If the car or counterweight hit the buffer, and the piston did not return, you would have no way of knowing. Then if it buffered the next time you would most likely have some damage. I would recommend you install the buffer switch. Or ask the inspector what you should do.
Topic starter
20/11/2020 9:17 am
Perfect.. You both gave me exactly the info I was looking for.
Thanks,
Work safe
Thanks,
Work safe