Elevator Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Close calls

9 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
7,652 Views
(@GreenPants)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#1096]
i believe talking about close calls keep us all on our toes.

i was changing worn starter contacts on a job we just took on service. i locked out the main line and 110, tested and verified the power was off. as i had the starter apart in my hand i got shocked. come to find out someone added fire service operation and ran a circuit through an extra starter contact powered by a separate building feed.

assume everything hot!



   
Quote
(@kiwinightstalker)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Obviously you didnt check ALL the asociated terminals etc. to check if power was off!



   
ReplyQuote
 E311
(@E311)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Hey GP-I heard a very similar story at our last safety beatdown. Are you the fella by chance?



   
ReplyQuote
(@Matthew)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Did it happen to be old Otis? lol. I treat those things as always live.



   
ReplyQuote
(@GreenPants)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
"Safety beat down" I love it

I didn't turn in a formal close call for that one. And yes I should have checked all terminals not being familiar with the equipment. Just like turning the car lights off to change a generator brush. Live and learn. Surprisingly Rodriguez was in town for a couple of days and didn't hit any of us for an audit.



   
ReplyQuote
(@halfpick)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Hey GP, Don't know if your up north here or in the south part of California. I just heard an inspector was shocked up here accessing a car. Seems he was touching the door frame and turning the key. It sent him to the hospital. It seems the ground wires were floating/ not connected and somehow a wire was pinched causing ground to be electrofied. He was hit with 230v I was told!



   
ReplyQuote
(@GreenPants)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Yikes, I hope he is ok. That's the freaky stuff in our job that you would be hard pressed to protect yourself from. We had a repair crew set to a job to replace some Vic rubbers and as the helper climbed in the pit he had is hand on the jamb and pit ladder and got lit up. Found out the anchor holding the pit ladder to the wall was hitting a underground electrical pipe. Been that way for years and no one knew till he got bit.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Wrench)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Wow some scary stuff.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Esc Man)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
We had a local member pulling Westinghouse rack out he was at the lower end when rack came out of polychains he broke both legs n had bad muscle tears but he didn't loose his legs thank god.



   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top