Elevator Forum

Stop Loss CIVL SD t...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Stop Loss CIVL SD tool

6 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
4,813 Views
 Vic
(@Vic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#1861]
Stop Loss CIVL SD tool

This is a tool for checking escalator combplate deflection, horizontal and vertical, and also side skirt deflection.


   
Quote
 Vic
(@Vic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Robert Kreiger is going to show me how to use it, and not look silly.



   
ReplyQuote
(@GreenPants)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
looks expensive. just find a kid at the mall they trip those things all the time. they are good for handrail stall tests and entry tests too. 😉



   
ReplyQuote
 Vic
(@Vic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Hah hah, and the kids are good for the "handrail slide" test, too!

It's $4500. Works good, and much better than a come-a-long and a scale.

Last edited by Vic; 09/23/11 01:33 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@Robert Krieger)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I have come up with enough examples of escalators that were installed after 1992 and do not meet the requirements of the comb impact vertical lift, that I believe it warrants concern in the industry.

Namely, the device is supposed to open the safety circuit when it has an impact of greater than 800# in the center or 400# on either side and greater than 150# vertically. This may be different from AHJ to AHJ.

Here is a tool I have used and recommend. I am associated loosely with Mr. Foltz, but that is not why it is important to the industry. http://www.stoplossresources.net/

It would appear from an admittedly small sample, that this switch and adjustment is not correctly set. It does not matter to the injured why it was not done or how many people have missed this setting in the past.

Public safety is not a matter of "business mans risk" The need for the device was recognized by the escalator industry many years ago and has been incorporated in escalators since the 1992 b version of ASME A17.1

I believe we have a legal and moral obligation to assure this setting is correct. If you work for a company that does not value the public safety over profit, then you will probably not see such a tool. Vic, are you and your tool available for rent?

Respectfully Submitted,

Robert L Krieger Jr.



   
ReplyQuote
 Vic
(@Vic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Yes, Bob. Have tool, will travel.

Inspector Rich Cordova informed me on the differences between Group III and Group IV, that I was not aware of. I went into the testing with Group IV in mind, my mistake, and I also learned the State isn't using the 2004 ANSI inpsection procedure. (iirc)

I also learned from Mr Cordova, that there are some other brands of units, where it can take "hours" to adjust the combplate impact switches. As much as has been said in anger about the Chinese Kone escalators, they are actually pretty user-friendly in these adjustments. It only takes a few minutes to adjust them.

This drastic difference in adjusting time between various units makes it hard to provide a one-size-fits-all quote for testing and adjustment. I think it would have to be quoted on a case-by-case basis. Something to work out. But yes, I'm defintely interested in being of service. Call you next week.



   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top