Elevator Forum

Montgomery Brake Pr...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Montgomery Brake Problem

5 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
4,305 Views
(@Administrator)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#1597]
Montgomery Brake Problem

Here's the situation: We had the brake arms re-shoed. Since then, the brake will not pick correctly. The arm without the coil attached to it should push away first until it hits the stop pin, then push away the arm with the coil attached to it. In this case, the arm with the coil on it pushes away first and the other arm doesn't move at all. Both arms are completely free of binding and appear to be set-up like the other cars. I have set this brake up many times before and never experienced this problem. What am I missing here? Does any one have the instructions on setting this brake up from scratch? Thanks!
Last edited by Administrator; 07/17/11 07:58 PM.


   
Quote
 Vic
(@Vic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Do you have any more pics of it? (from another perspective?)



   
ReplyQuote
(@Administrator)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
I ended up fixing the problem. I had to order new arms with the correct shoes from Kone. When they did the re-shoe the shoes were not fitted correctly which affects the mechanics of the brake. I never realized this brake was so sensitive to the length and thickness of the shoe. If any one has these brakes re-shoed just make sure they duplicate what was there before it will save a lot of headache.



   
ReplyQuote
 Vic
(@Vic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Wow, great information! I'll have to look at that, next time that issue comes up. Thanks!



   
ReplyQuote
(@regularjoe)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Also keep on mind that the throw on the plunger is suppose to be about 1/8th of an inch. that is why the relationship between the two arms is so critical. If you can hear this brake smacking open and close then it is wrong.



   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top