Elevator Forum

Notifications
Clear all

new avatar

20 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
28.8 K Views
(@Broke_Sheave)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#4328]
I guess you can tell I'm a guitar enthusiast.
I decided to change my avatars on a rotating basis, featuring guitarists I enjoy.

The last few months I've been using the great Wes Montgomery as my avatar. If you've never heard Wes play, pick up a copy of "Smokin' at the Half Note". If you dig guitar you will NOT be disappointed.

My new avatar is featuring the great Canadian guitaris "Lenny Breau". Master of harmonics. Pick up a copy of the "Velvet Guitar of Lenny Breau" if you're interested in checking him out. I always dug how he could take a simple line and turn it into a thing of beauty..He was also Chet Atkins favorite guitarist. And that's saying something..

So to all you pickers out there..Salute!!!

Wes on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXvdU7f-q7I

Lenny on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHZAWxvdtlw

More great guitarist's to follow in the coming months



   
Quote
 Vic
(@Vic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Sounds like some really rich stuff to dig into there!

I play too. And I'm a terrible student. I like to play along to CDs, rather than pratice the pentatonic scales. So, that makes me basically sloppy, and I rarely play anything exactly the same way twice. That part of my playing is shabby and unprofessional, and frustrates me. I know I need to pratice "right", but I'm too lazy and disinterested in "book learning".

On a positive note, I like to think that my enjoyment of playing comes through for anyone listening, and I do have some favorite keys and tempos that I live in, (is that a rut? :D). I live in the bends, and like a warm sustain. I enjoy playing anything that has rythym, and a groove to it. I do try and stretch beyond my favorites, and am very happy on those rare occasions when I can pick up something new.

My #1 favorite guitarist is Robin Trower. Critics blasted him early on, because of how similar he sounded to Hendrix. Many dismissed him offhand because of this. But over the years, and more than 20 albums, he pushed that envelope, and refined the genre, explored more atmospheric moods and textures. He is an unheralded gem.

Others that I like and try to emulate are of course Hendrix, Clapton, BB King, Buddy Guy, SRV, Jimmy Page, especially early Zeppelin. And a little Joe Satriani, (no, I'm not good like that) a little Santana, and bit of Jack White, mostly the peppermint album. Most of these white guys are either stealing from, are influenced by, or are outright regurgitating Delta Blues, and Chicago Blues. So I guess I'm copying those who copy. But I like what they are copying!

But I never heard any Wes M or Lenny B, but will check them out.

Never heard any John Coltrane either, but I hear he's good too.



   
ReplyQuote
 Vic
(@Vic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
ok, checked 'em out.

Wes is so very accurate, no junk notes. Damm, I can't do that!

Lenny Breaus stuff didn't strike a resonant chord in me. (pun intended)

That's real jazz, which sometimes loses my interest. Maybe I'm not sophisticated enough to appreciate more than 12 bar, 1,4,+5 chord arrangements! But I do like jazz with a bit more blues or swing in it, or something with a more accesible beat to it, like Miles Davis doing "Canteloupe". (US3 did a great cover of that in the 80s)



   
ReplyQuote
(@solidstate)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
"Funky, Funky"



   
ReplyQuote
 Vic
(@Vic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Dibby-bibby-bop!

Hah ha!



   
ReplyQuote
(@Broke_Sheave)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
I dig all those guitarists you mentioned Vic. And I'm a Blues addict as well. Snuck in to see Johnny and Edgar Winter when I was 14 at a local club.

If you're interested in sharpening your skills, Jimmy Bruno has a great online course for only $20.00 per month. I studied with him for 3 years and he's one of the best out there as far as performer and teacher.

Jimmy on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMVAyf9s2o0

Link to Jimmy's on-line classes.
http://jbguitarworkshop.com/



   
ReplyQuote
(@Broke_Sheave)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
My newest avatar is another of my favorite guitarists of all time...
Mr. Hank Garland.
Most sought after sideman in Nashville during the 50's and 60's.

He is the guy you hear playing the guitar behind Patsy Cline's "Crazy", Behind Elvis, Eddy Arnold, and just too many old time country legends to name.

Here's the WIKI on Hank.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Garland

The tune that brought him over the top was "Sugar Foot Rag". (A guitar staple, that I still enjoy playing. Youtube below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPj3yjXJzYw

Everybody thought he was just a great country picker, but after hitting the dough with "Sugar Foot Rag", he went into the studio, with a young Gary Burton on vibrophone, and produced one of the greatest jazz guitar recordings ever...

"Jazz Winds from a New Direction" I've wore out countless copies. I think it's a must have CD for anybody that plays guitar..

Here's a cut from the LP. "All The Things You Are"...
Notice the great improvisation and the Bach-like thing he and Burton get into at times. (Burton was 19 at the time of this recording)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM1wOVP0oac

After this recording was released every jazz guitarist in the country was thinking "Who in the hell is this Hillbilly that is just killing it on the guitar"...(He also snuck off with Wes Montgomery and there's rumors of recordings of the two, but as of this point they are still rumors.

I have talked via email with the Garland family through the years, while they were trying to get the dough together to produce Hank's life story into a movie. I'm so glad they succeeded, and the Movie "Crazy" was finally released a couple of years ago. It is available on NetFlix for instant streaming, and also for sale at several box stores that sale DVD's. I thouroughly enjoyed the movie and every recording the man every made. Jimmy Bruno also greatly admired the man and they were close friends.

The trailer to the Movie "Crazy"..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npI43xKxiUs

From the recording studios in Nashville with the top stars of the day, to the stage of the Grand Ole Opry, to the smoke filled Jazz and Blues joints of all the great cities. Hank did it all.



   
ReplyQuote
 Vic
(@Vic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Nice video!

Very bright sound, clean and happy sounding. Not exactly my favorite genre, but still a stellar performance, very accurate, no duff notes at all.

I think he's got a echo running in the background, which sorta adds kind of a percussive section to one lonely guitar.

I like the way some of the measures start with an upward slide. Neat effect...



   
ReplyQuote
(@Broke_Sheave)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
My newest featured guitarist is the great Andres Segovia. I saw him in the 80's and the guy was totally amazing. He was in his 90's then and was just flawless. Without Andres, there would be no classical guitar. He started as a young man, and began to do transcrib Bach to the nylon stringed guitar. He played Ramirez guitars all his life, of which I'm happy to say I at least own a student model.

More about Andres from Wiki below.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A9s_Segovia

The mastery of Andres via YouTube.
The Villa Lobos Etude #1 in E minor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0SvC3NG6tI

One of my favorite classical Guitar pieces of all time..
The magnificent, beautiful, "Recuerdos del Al Alhambra" by the composed by Franciso Tarrega..Absolutely magnifecent played by the master..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QHvBlmaOqY

And finally his transcription of Bach's "Prelude in D Minor".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTnLcOYEGE

The above examples are very short pieces, to give you an idea of the guy. There are some primo recordings out there if you're interested in great guitar music!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A9s_Segovia



   
ReplyQuote
(@Broke_Sheave)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
My newest player of the month is the great Joe Pass. One of my all time favorites. He put out a series of 3 CD's entitled "Virtuoso" and he proved it. The man had some serious chops and a serious ear to go with it.

He made several recordings with Ella Fitzgerald, which are just unbelievable, and his work with Oscar Peterson's bands and the duets with legendary bassist NHOP.

The mana was guitar player's guitarist.

More about Joe courtesy WIKI.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Pass

Joe tearing it up and doing a damn fine job keeping up with Oscar on the tune "CakeWalk"..Damn.. 😎

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZbSonHGVXc

Joe tearing up the Miles Daves standard "Donna Lee" with NHOP..
(Yeah I know..it's jaw dropping.. 😁

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI-1sq5dFD4

And Joe with Ella..."Georgia"..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeAhUiawOAo

And "Misty" from his Virtuoso series showing off his solo guitar chops..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaxU0TzdMbM

What a player. Hope you guys enjoy a break from elevators and enjoy. A new one of my all time fav's next month..



   
ReplyQuote
 Vic
(@Vic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
About Andres Segovia-
Aside from his classical adaptations, he had some "popular" songs, too. I used to have an album of his called "My Favorite Spanish Encores". It was a bit more emotional, not so austere and classical. Really great stuff. Gotta find that album again....

Thanks for sharing. Reminds me of what I've been missing so many years.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Broke_Sheave)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
You're welcome Vic. Glad you're enjoying the thread!!!



   
ReplyQuote
(@markjackn)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Sounds like some really rich stuff to dig into there!



   
ReplyQuote
(@Broke_Sheave)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
A great new guitarist to bring in the new year. The great Andreas Oberg. Guy is just a monster. From Stockholm. Began playing at 8. Graduate of the Royal college of music in Stockholm. Winner of the Django festivel, for his gypsy guitar playing. And has collaborated with numerous musicians. Still in his early 30's and just cooks his A$$ off.

More about Andreas here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreas_%C3%96berg

For you pickers out there that want to sharpen your skills he also has an excellent on-line guitar school.

http://www.andreasguitaruniverse.com/
(Well worth the small monthly fee)

Andreas at work...(Cook'n with Gas!!!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI2pv9Myrjg

And working out on a Gypsy guitar solo!!!(The standard "Coquette" by Django Rheinhart.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gf200PyuSk

In my opinion one of the greatest of the young guitarists out there, playing great music.
Happy holidays guys and remember to take time to smell the roses!!!! 😎



   
ReplyQuote
(@Broke_Sheave)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
My newest avatar is the great John Mclaughlin of Mahivishnu Orchestra fame. Just a monster player, and technique galore. Experimenter supreme in all kinds of music throughout the world. Specifically know for his travels into Indian music. But don't let him fool you into thinking he's strictly Avante Garde. This guy can play any style and with anyone.

Here he is tearing up "Blue Train" with Berreli Lagrene. A really great Jazz standard and some pretty unbelievable playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe2jVU4WixY

And with Carlos Santana and the Mahavishnu Orchestra. Maybe not everyones cup of tea, but imaginitive and great playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T2a1K_JZPY

And a final vid just to show his versatility as a musician and his complete mastery of the instrument. John playing with Johnny Carson's big band and just tearing up the jazz standard "Cherokee"..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om6HDUKBbzE

As I said you may find some of his stuff out there but stick around and listen to the next thing this cat does. You'll find something you like I guarantee...

More to come as time goes by...



   
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Scroll to Top