elevators were fixed in coffee shops and other places?
Doesn't happen anymore,does it.................
Nowadays you got Super's watching the yellow dots on the computer monitors for GPS. And Consultants doing what the super's used to do for free. (Of Course the Super's back then were ex elevator guys..NOT some guy they found off the street"..
"It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world"
Above quote courtesy of The Kinks "Lola".
So I went to the BA at the time, John O'Donahoe, (sp?), who passed away fairly recently, and expressed my concerns. He told me that the best way to promote union labor, and help the cause of unionism, was to put in an honest 8 hours pay, for 8 hours work. After that, I tried to do what was right. Sometimes I caught flak for this, brothers claimed I was "breaking down conditions". As the years have gone by, I can report that I did what I felt was right, honest, fair, and in accord with the spirit of the Standard Agreement. Collosians 3:23 "And whatsoever you do, do it heartily, as unto the Lord, and not unto men"
If you are not a Christian, or you do not honor contracts such as the Standard Agreement, please disregard this post.
Sorry if I ruffle any feathers, that's just how I feel. I'm no saint, not perfect by any means, but I have a conscience, and if I am not beating it back with a stick, occasionally it guides me.
Some days I gave more, but on others, a little less.
I agree that there isn't the comraderie, and sharing of talent between us that there used to be.
Here is a funny little note from my past, when helping a very senior adjustor at Otis- He used to have me spend more time for free, so he could mentor me. (NO, it wasn't Sandusky!) I asked my supervisior in service at the time- "How much time should I allow for this?", (which was my backhanded way of letting the supervisor know that I was being asked and expected to work over for free) The very next day, that adjustor got rid of me! The nerve of me asking such a question! How dare I even mention it.
Although that adjustor had many years of wrote memorization, he was rather plodding, and to me, seemed to possess no real talent. From his perspective, he probably thought his experience would be an immeasurable asset to my career, and I was supposed to be oh-so-grateful that he would bestow such honor upon me, as to spend his evening hours showing me how to paint-by-numbers, in his pedestrian way of wading through his work. He was well-known for thinking too highly of himself, and not really for any good reason. I mean, if you hang around any organization long enough, you can rise to your highest level of incompetence, if for no other reason, than sheer attrition! Learning from such a "master" is not really worth my time, or so I thought when I was in my cocky 20s. Yes, I learned from him. But no, I didn't think his skills were so valuable that I would donate my personal time. I'm a little easier now, that I'm in my early 50s, but back then, I was pretty tense, and didn't like to put up with bullsht in the least.
So you see, I wasn't always a "company man"!
But since I started this business, almost 17 years ago, I have worked harder than I EVER did, than when I worked for other companies. Looking back, I didn't really know what hard work was. I really had things very easy, when I was at Otis. Maybe we judge our working conditions with a skewed value system sometimes, and think we got things so bad. If not true for everybody, at least I think that was true for me. Young and dumb...
The same day I turned in my time, my boss called me up, and asked..
"I see you turned in an 1/2 hour overtime?"
"I guess from now on when you come in 15 minutes late, or take an hour lunch instead of 30 minutes, or leave 15 minute early, or take 1/2 hour break instead of 15 minutes, you'll be making the appropriate record of your time".
I sat there very quietly and he finally said.
"I never want to see another time ticket come from you for 30 minutes. If you turn in OT make if for a couple of hours.".
Which I did from then on.
A different world back then. Sup was an old crusty ex-otis adjuster, and had forgotten more about elevators than I will ever know, and I was a young struglling mechanic.
Course this would never happen nowadays. You got all the guys that don't know nothing about elevators but DO know how to watch GPS...LOL..
For along time I was not like that,I kept my jobs clean and in good working order.
Then things changed.
More jobs and building visits.
Supervisors with no knowledge of the trade came into play.
Numbers,numbers,numbers.
No recognition of keeping my customers happy and keeping the calls down.
I did't play by their rules and it cost me my job.
That was a few years back.
Now I play by their rules and all I do is answer calls because of lack of maintenance.
But now ,I keep their numbers looking good and I have a job.
Remember the quality assurance program,big O guy's?
That Japanese thing they came out with to make you more efficient?
I just do what they want me to and educate the younger guys.
Above quote courtesy of The Kinks "Lola".