Elevator Forum

Notifications
Clear all

US 1220 COMPOUNDING

15 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
20.2 K Views
(@Take the stairs)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#6175]
I HAVE US 1220 WITH A SSD1 BOX. I JUST REPAIRED THE GENERATOR, AND REPLACED THE SSD1 BOX. THE CAR AT LEVELING SPEED TRIPS THE DASHPOT OVERLOAD FOR THE GENERATOR. SO I PUT IT ON INSP IN THE CONTROLLER, AND RESET THE GENERATOR IT WILL HOLD FOR ABOUT 5 SECONDS AND TRIP AGAIN. THE MOTOR DOES NOT MOVE I HAVE 36VDC ON THE MOTOR BRUSH RIGGING. CAR RUNS FINE AT ACCELERATION, HIGH, DECEL, JUST FINAL LEVELING IT GETS CRAPY. I THINK ITS COMPOUNDING BUT I HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS? PLEASE HELP



   
Quote
(@Administrator)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Were you having this problem before the generator was repaired or before the SSD1 was replaced? What's the motor field doing when the car goes into leveling? Make sure the brake is picking. These cars are notorious for not picking the brake when the brake capacitors fail.



   
ReplyQuote
(@danzeitz)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Admin is correct on the brake caps. If these check good first check to see if you have an Imperial or GE generator. I have seen several times where the wrong print was used as both are show on prints. The car at rest should have about 1 volt DC on the brushes. If you have a running car the first thing I would do is swap DDS1 with one that is proven good. These units are very different to compound after you get the proper compounding usually 50 or 75%. Then you fine tune to within 2fpm with the diverter shunt wire. The quick method it to turn approach all the way down and then tack leveling speed at the top and bottom of the hoist way. You will want to be between 10 to 15 fpm and within 2 fpm up and down.



   
ReplyQuote
(@danzeitz)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Stairs, Is the 220vdc light bulb coming on and getting bright before overloads trip?????



   
ReplyQuote
 E311
(@E311)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
you beat me to it Dan-love that light bulb 🙂



   
ReplyQuote
(@danzeitz)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Yea, I had a building maintenance man trade it out for thr burnt out bulb in the machineroom once!!!!!!



   
ReplyQuote
(@sbrmilitia)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Yeah don't try to use it for your car top light either.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Take the stairs)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
So I was out there by myself this is hard to determine watching your controller, the meter, generator, motor, and brake, plus stand next to the disconnect if your dc voltage gets to high on the motor! Don't want to blow it up! Had a second service guy out today to help me try to get a handle on it. My brake isn't picking because my generator or my sucide circuit has a problem.yesterday it was running today it trips the dashpot overload on insp. I have to be honest there are many things I fix, but I am having a hell of a time figuring this out. I think the generator has too much series field voltage I get arcing at the com. I am going to wait for a shooter.I need a education on these units. It is humbling. Can't win them all. I will let you guys know what we find.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Scott Davidson)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
are you sure that the wiring of the suicide circuit is intact? make sure that terminals 01 and 02 are connected to the generator armature a1 and a2 look at the print you will see what i mean, if the loop circuit residual current is not making it back to the generator field wiring then the car will self excite and trip overload or run thru the brake.



   
ReplyQuote
(@J Sand)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Machine mechanically ok? Had one with bearings requiring oil (which no one checked) and the front bearing seized on the motor. Dashpot oil level ok? Field coil integrity? Checked current with probe?



   
ReplyQuote
(@danzeitz)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Im still on the SSD1 myself. Did you set up the new one as far as SR picking? Do you have a known good SSD1 to try????



   
ReplyQuote
 E311
(@E311)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
arcing on the motor brushes with the car at rest usually indicates an "out of neutral" setting on the brush rigging or self excitation as one mentioned earlier.



   
ReplyQuote
(@GreenPants)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
i have found on ssd1 and the elev. controls version that if you make the high leveling and low leveling speeds the same, about 12fpm, and slow the car down with the decel/approach. get 6" of sustained level speed it rides and runs much better. slow accel and running your brake shoes really close to but not dragging the drum all of it helps avoid the yo-yo re-level that many customers complain about on this mod ready equipment.



   
ReplyQuote
(@J Sand)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Just saw that you had generator work done. Guess old age is setting in! Had a motor shop recently rework a generator and it was blowing the OL, sparks flying off etc. Turned out the motor shop installed the brush riggings facing opposite of what they should be. One of those things I kept staring at by comparing it to the car next to it and sure enough---backwards. Swapped them around and it ran perfectly. Never trust anyone!

Last edited by J Sand; 03/14/13 03:07 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@Take the stairs)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
UPDATE: So thanks to the help of a unmentioned member( he knows who he is) the elevator is running again.The print lists capacitor CSF as 260mf it is 2 130mfs piggy backed CSF2 was bad, as well as my generator is wired for 100% output. With a little help were running it good at 50% output. Plus n/o contact 2 from safe for my SSD1 incoming power the terminal was'nt tight. We had these problems day one. WE had the job for a week when this all went down! Educational! Thanks all.



   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top