Notifications
Clear all
Topic starter
03/01/2014 5:37 am
So I want to change a set of Otis slim line relays on a job I have but I don't want to screw it up. All I'm changing is the pile up relays. My question is how do you get the old relay out ? Because the black stop is in the way . Does the stop unscrew so that you can pull the relay out to put the new one in ?
03/01/2014 7:01 am
There's a bolt in the back, it's hard to see but I use a nut driver to take it out and pull the relay out of the plug in the front. That's how I do it, there may be a more technical way to do it. I use some paper or thin cardboard underneath and/or around it if it's a common to all cars relay.
Last edited by E-man; 01/02/14 11:01 PM.
Topic starter
03/01/2014 8:46 am
So by taking that bolt completely out that should free up the relays from the stop on the front?
03/01/2014 9:34 am
Sorry, not sure what stop in the front you're talking about. I have only replaced the entire relay and coil. I have on in the truck I can go look at in a bit.
Last edited by E-man; 01/03/14 01:35 AM.
03/01/2014 10:28 am
It's a nut you have to take off a stud, if this link works there's an orange stick touching that stud. If you take that nut off, the whole relay pulls right out.
Topic starter
03/01/2014 1:19 pm
I don't have the entire set up , I just have the relays in the picture below. Notice the "stop" in the front isn't present in my picture. That's what I'm wondering is how to remove the old pile up . How do I remove the black piece in the front to
Get the new relay in? In the picture is all I'm replacing
Thank you for your help.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nzt16inz8dbwjxt/PQ-y66yZyq
Get the new relay in? In the picture is all I'm replacing
Thank you for your help.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nzt16inz8dbwjxt/PQ-y66yZyq
04/01/2014 1:49 am
Once I made a relay work out of spare relays to match the contact configuration. If you're just changing the pileup, I'd pull the whole relay out and swap the pileup. I don't remember removing that piece, I just slipped the pileups in the seperator and made it work... I hope I am helping.
Topic starter
04/01/2014 5:17 am
Yes definitely ! Thank you!
17/01/2014 12:34 pm
Those Relays are very Touchy. Note in picture above the core inside the coil. One type has an angle on the side by Armature. The other type is straight. (no angle by the Armature). Not sure without looking which is which, but one type is a Latch (Set-Reset) and the other is pull-in and drop. The Set-Reset Armature MUST touch the core to latch. On the Pull-in and drop the Armature MUST NOT touch the core. Set the core properly then use a contact bender to adjust wipe moving the STATIONARY with the bender. Usually Hall Calls and Car Calls are Set-Reset to look at if in doubt which core type is which.
18/01/2014 12:47 am
I knew there were 2 styles because while working on a hall call circuit on one of my jobs I noticed the prints show that the coil is not energized while the relay is picked. So I've just always called them residual relays. I think the Adams book calls them "self holding" and the other is "control" or "timing".
