Elevator Forum

Otis selector overl...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Otis selector overlays

19 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
28.4 K Views
(@danzeitz)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#8668]
Now that EC is gone has anyone heard of an electronic overlay for the Otis pie plate selector with advancer panel???



   
Quote
(@traction)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
What do you mean by overlay? What are you trying to accomplish?



   
ReplyQuote
(@Postal)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Man I've seen too many overlays that are still fubar



   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Dan
Where did EC go?



   
ReplyQuote
(@E-man)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
A modernization 😏

This is what he's talking about, Elevator Components, not Elevator Controls.

Thread about Elevator Components

Last edited by E-man; 10/09/13 10:00 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@uppo72)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I'm pretty sure we have used an adams over lay for the otis selectors and they seem to work fine.



   
ReplyQuote
(@danzeitz)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
When I say overlay I mean to remove the old selector with all the moving parts, gears bearings and switches that wear out and cause the normal maintenance and adjustment that are part of keeping that system stopping level. And replacing it with a new selector with a fixed tape and a hole counting system and magnets for floor levels. We have taken over a job that has been neglected to the point something needs to be done while the owners get funds together for a mod starting in about a year. With the last car not being done for about 18 months after that so even with a mod in the works some cars need to be updated to make it safely for the next 2 and 1/2 years. uppo72 I will check with adams.thanks



   
ReplyQuote
 ABE
(@ABE)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I know Electroyn was doing aome market research into if there would be some interest if they developed a product to replace mechanical selectors but I do not know if they ever made one or not, it might be worth checking. Another option might be Claddagh Electronics, we recently used a electronic stepper they made to replace a mechanical stepper on a Otis MRS unit.



   
ReplyQuote
(@1timeotis)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
If This is Just a case of buying Time till the Mod is Sold and Finished..Why not just repair and Adjust the existing Selector?...



   
ReplyQuote
(@danzeitz)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Time-advancer panel Otis that need all new chains ,bearings , contacts, replace and repair all the fixes that weren't fixes but band aids and some not so good band aids and when your done you will still have a high maintenance selector compared to the new stuff.



   
ReplyQuote
(@E-man)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I have 8 Otis pie plate cars on my route. It's hard to find the time necessary to properly maintain them nowadays.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Postal)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
http://claddaghelectronics.com/landing-systems/57-ip8300-plus-tape-head.html

Seen a few of these but once again it's just a band aide



   
ReplyQuote
(@uppo72)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: danzeitz
When I say overlay I mean to remove the old selector with all the moving parts, gears bearings and switches that wear out and cause the normal maintenance and adjustment that are part of keeping that system stopping level. And replacing it with a new selector with a fixed tape and a hole counting system and magnets for floor levels. We have taken over a job that has been neglected to the point something needs to be done while the owners get funds together for a mod starting in about a year. With the last car not being done for about 18 months after that so even with a mod in the works some cars need to be updated to make it safely for the next 2 and 1/2 years. uppo72 I will check with adams.thanks

Ah ok. The over lay i'm talking about you basically bolt to the existing selector and use the existing selector tape(albeit replace the tape and the way it reads) and you are replacing all the existing levelling systems with a electronic equivalent( and wire it to the terminals on the existing selector). It is designed to extend the life of existing controllers, especially when they are ok, yet the selectors are stuffed. Its not a cheap option but it will work for you. What you can do is explain this to the customer and maybe you can do the lifts that will be as is the longest while the first lift you leave as is and do the best you can. Also you could do some sort of deal for the price and then when you dismantle this you could on sell this to another job? Just spit balling here but systems like this work pretty well. The only thing we found was sometimes they lock up and you had to move the lift past the master floor to get the system to reset so its best to wire in a inspection switch to drive the lift from the motorroom.

Last edited by uppo72; 10/11/13 03:28 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@danzeitz)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
uppo72, I called Adams and am waiting to hear back. But yes you are right on about how we plan to work the mod. I checked with Jim at Electrodyne about 6 months ago about them building overlays. They even sent out survey forms asking people about their needs and how many they may want to do. I guess I should check with him just to be sure what their plans are.



   
ReplyQuote
 E311
(@E311)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Now that the Fire Service Overlay craze has cooled, that would be a great market for Electrodyne to consider.



   
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Scroll to Top