Has generator with an exciter.
Inbetween the two controllers is the selector,a screw type with a motor that operates them.
Here is the problem,car 1 wont run and 32 t or b relay chatters.
It should be dc voltage,but I'm getting ac voltage.
Ok,ok I know the rectifiers bad.
The fuses are acr for the ac side and dcr for the dc side.
Only that there seems to be a common use for both cars as a means to power the brake.
When I checked dcr fuse it appeared to be open.
When I pulled the fuse,the other car shut down.
I put it back in and left the unit down for the weekend,being it was late on Friday.
Why would they share a common power source,and if so why isn't the other car effect with the ac?
Is there a diode I'm missing somewhere?
And,I don't know if I have a 90 or 91 relay.
But monday,my buddy will show me and I will let you know.
Thank you!
I know I had just replaced those.
My buddy decided he would clean the motor brush rigging and all with contact cleaner.
Well,he didn't let the cleaner dry long enough,turned on the unit and ran it.
A few sparks turned into a nice little fire.
All that oil and carbon dust burns good!
Shut the unit down,frantically searching for a fire extinguisher,which happen to be down at the bottom of a ship ladder.
Finally got it put out.
Got to love adjusters sometimes.;)
So True..You can get them back in polarity with a dry cell battery on the exckiter fields when it 1st cranks up, or for that truly adventurous type, you can take 2 orange sticks lift off 2 adjacent brushes from the exciter commutator while the exciter is turning and let them pop down on the exciter simultaneously. Arcs a litte, but more times successful than not.
As for cleaner...
Back in the day the companies used this god awful motor cleaner with the generic name of SS25. It would clean the hell out of a motor, but is a known carcinogen. Of course we knew nothing of that and just used it. I'm talking 1 gallon pump sprayers of the stuff and wash down Generators and Motors.
Evidently it's still being made..
http://www.chemsearch.in.th/th/Product%20Lable/ss-25%20label.pdf
Anyway we had a generator that would keep grounding out, and the company instead of pulling the genreator just sent the mechanic up with a gallon pump sprayer of SS25 and had him wash it out. This went on for about a year, until the mechanic.."ACCIDENTLY" filled up the pump sprayer with Varsol instead of SS25. Made a nice bon fire.. 😁
Sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do.........